Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What do you can/jam?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM
  • 27 Replies

I just made another batch of strawberry jam (this time freezer style) and I was wondering what kind of foods do you try to can/jam/preserve every year?  

by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
proudmommy690
by on Feb. 3, 2013 at 2:53 PM
We dont can anything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 5:16 PM

i wish we did but we dont. Theres no room in our freezer

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Apple butter, strawberry jam, and sometimes blackberry jam if we get enough berries.

As for other things I can... Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Rotel-style tomatoes, pickles, apple sauce, sliced apples so far. We'll see what this summer brings. ;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Regular canning (like glass jars with veggies or jam) doesn't require storage in the freezer. I keep mine in the pantry. I do hot water bath canning, even for things like jams and jellies.

Quoting KaylaMillar:

i wish we did but we dont. Theres no room in our freezer

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:24 PM

The only thing I 'can' is pumpkin.  I did about 3 medium-to-large pumpkins late last year.  I had another one to do, but I just ran out of energy.  I do it freezer style as well because it's just easier for me.  Fortunately, I have plenty of room in the freezer.

mysweet1s
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I can tomatoes, salsa, pickles, and pickled green beans.

MaMaLaLa78
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM

This year I made carrot cake jam- oh my, it is so good on cream cheese toast.  I am going to make it again and give it again as gifts.  People have raved about it.  

ReniaEats
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

This time of year its all about Strawberry Jam and Orange Marmalade here in Florida. In a few months it will be okra and blueberries. Then in the fall I make sauce and salsa for the year when tomatoes are at their peak.

Mandahoney
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Last year I canned ground beef, deer meat, pork, chicken, sausage, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, grape jam, strawberry/rhubarb jam, corn, pickled peppers, corn relish, pickles, pickled relish....I think thats it.  I am going to try more jams and applesauce this year too.

SaraCate
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Carrot cake jam recipe, please???  

We have a ton of home-canned stuff in the pantry, but that's because I have a friend who ran a preserving co-op this year! $150 and 3 days work got 100 cans/items (including 2 qt. frozen blueberries and a whole farm-raised chicken).  We have tomatoes, several jams, relishes, pickles (3 kinds), 3 or 4 kinds of salse, chili sauce, 3 kinds pears, pearsauce, applesauce, carrots, green beans, applesage glaze...I think that's it!  Again, just b/c of the co-op.  I typically make just apple butter, pumpkin butter, winter marmalade, and sweet zucchini relish for us/gifts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement