Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 1/2 cup orzo, 3 scallops, and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil $
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds large sea scallops
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup dry white wine $
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Prepare orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Return to pan; stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, olive oil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Keep warm.
- 2. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; coat scallops with cooking spray. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- 3. Combine wine, shallots, and vinegar in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 5 minutes or until liquid reduces to 1 tablespoon. Reduce heat to low. Add butter cubes, 1 at a time, whisking after each addition until butter is fully incorporated. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Serve scallops with sauce and orzo.