Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Green Noodles

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 23 Replies

GREEN NOODLES
For kids who don’t mind a bit of green on their plate, here’s a simple, tasty veggie sauce on pasta.

4 to 6 moderate servings

• 8 ounces pasta, your choice of shape
    (spaghetti, spirals, wagon wheels, small shells, etc.)
  • 1 tablespoon nonhydrogenated margarine

Sauce:

• 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
  • 1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets, steamed
  • 1/2 cup crumbled soft tofu
  • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup rice milk
  • Salt to taste

Bring plenty of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Cook the pasta until just done, then drain.

In the meantime, combine the frozen peas and broccoli florets in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat and drain well.

Combine the peas and broccoli with the remaining sauce ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smoothly pureed. Pour over the cooked spaghetti or pasta and toss to combine. Season with salt and serve at once.

Read more at http://www.vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes/noodles/#xGDPHUHFC65FWQrb.99 

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Interesting

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Looks good but what is nutritional yeast?  I don't use margarine so I would use butter and my kids don't eat tofu! LOL!

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Yummy! Tyvm for the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sanj1213
by Juanita on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Might be yummy. 

Harris06
by Megan on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

haha I saw it initially on avegan website so I would "tweak" it, too. I'm not sure what nutritional yeast is, I would use yeast. haha I, too, would use butter and skip the tofu. But you know, other than that. LOL 

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Looks good but what is nutritional yeast?  I don't use margarine so I would use butter and my kids don't eat tofu! LOL!

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

ethans_momma06
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM

We dont really do tofu. :/

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Tfs :)

circle_of_life
by New Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Nutritional yeast is not like bread yeast. It's a golden flaky powder that tastes sort of cheesy. Delicious on popcorn. My kids are addicted to it, they love it and it's super healthy.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Will have to look for some, thanks!

Quoting circle_of_life:

Nutritional yeast is not like bread yeast. It's a golden flaky powder that tastes sort of cheesy. Delicious on popcorn. My kids are addicted to it, they love it and it's super healthy.

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elijahsmama09
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I am not a big fan of tofu either, but tofu if it is mixed into things just takes on the flavor of the veggies with it. It doesn't have a flavor on its own. It also makes i creamy. I would try it with the tofu and see if you like it. I would however use almond milk and not rice, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN