Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

What kind of Freezer Bags do you prefer?  My husband and I recently did a huge stock up on Meat for our deep freezer, spent almost $3000 dollars...so a lot.  Normally I buy ziplock bags, that's what Costco sells.  But this time, I forgot until we were on our way home.  So we stopped off at the grocery store near us, and we decided to try Hefty slider Freezer bags.  The box claimed they were stronger than Ziplock.  So we get home and start dividing the meat into smaller portions, and many of the sliders wouldn't close the bags, some I had to double bag, which is a huge waste of money, and these bags add up darn it.  So a couple days ago, I notice signs of freezer burn on some of the meat, which really ticks me off!  It's only been a month!  I also took out a prime rib roast to defrost, and find the slider on the bag had popped open.  I will NEVER again buy Hefty brand bags!  I'm so ticked off! 

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Replies (11-20):
lovinmyboys...
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I don't buy freezer bags with zipper locks. I only buy storage bags with them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Harris06
by Megan on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I have used both Hefty and Ziplock and I by far prefer Ziplock!!

ReniaEats
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

I enjoy great success with the store brand from Family Dollar. They work great and at $2 for 30 are much cheaper than any others I've found. 

othermom
by Danelle on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Quoting ReniaEats:

I enjoy great success with the store brand from Family Dollar. They work great and at $2 for 30 are much cheaper than any others I've found. 

Never tried theirs, but that is a great deal

eustacejessica
by Jess on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I hate Hefty freezer bags too. I'm a fan of ziploc.

Shelly126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Quoting emilyrosenj:

I always use Ziploc!!  I've had too many bad experiences with off brands.

me too, only ziploc in this house!
Shelly126
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I even hate hefty garbage bags!
ReniaEats
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting othermom:

Quoting ReniaEats:

Never tried theirs, but that is a great deal

I was surprised. I bought them to use for a project for my son (where I didn't need anything too hefty) and they where much sturdier than I thought. 

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I have great success with Ziplock and the Walmart brand of bags. I prefer the double zip over a slider though. I also like the walmart proffesional strength plastic wrap, it tears easy and is thick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AlleyCat08:

I have great success with Ziplock and the Walmart brand of bags. I prefer the double zip over a slider though. I also like the walmart proffesional strength plastic wrap, it tears easy and is thick.

I like the double zipper

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement