Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

for moms who don't cook, how do you feed your family?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM
  • 12 Replies

I always wondered.  I am not being snarky, there are a lot of women who just don't cook or prefer not to. So for those women, do you just order in everyday?? eat out? eat frozen meals? In our house my DH & kids rely on me solely for their meals, I don't cook, they don't eat. (or they order in)

OK let me just update a bit.  Yes I thought that husbands cook, but what do you do if your husband doesn't cook??  I am just asking because my friend and her husband don't cook and they end up going out to eat with thier kids around 5 times a week.  They also make a very good living so they can afford it.

by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:35 AM
My best friend doesn't cook.
Apparently her husband cooks or they eat easy meals like hamburger helper kind of stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:19 AM
4 moms liked this

I did not cook much until last year.  I just never really learned how.  My mom can cook, but when we were growing up, she worked full time, so she fed us a lot of frozen entrees and then she'd just heat up some sides to go with it.  Thus, I never learned how to cook fresh foods.  And really, none of that stuff was healthy.  We ate fast food a lot, too.  But, I don't blame her.  She was a busy working mom, so there was not a lot of time.

But for me as a SAHM living in a different time...  I knew I had to be different.  We were eating a lot of frozen foods, chicken nuggets, pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.  The most I'd "cook" would be chicken breast baked in the oven served with BBQ sauce.  I realized I was starting to make the same mistakes as my mom.

I started with crock pot cooking.  It's so fool-proof.  You literally throw stuff in a pot and it cooks itself.  That eased me in.  Then I started trying other recipes and such, asking DH for help if there was something I wasn't sure about.  Now I cook real meals all the time.  We aren't buying processed, frozen junk anymore.  We're eating healthy.

othermom
by Danelle on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Simple things, maybe the husband cooking.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I do not cook. My husband does all the cooking. Obviously I do lunch since he is at work and normally I do quick things like sandwhiches, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, pizza muffins, things like that.

sha_lyn68
by Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it interesting that the thought of the husband doing the cooking didn't seem to enter into your mind. I know several families where the huband is the one who does most if not all of the cookiing.

calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM
I cooked for years. Last couple of years dh decided he would start cooking dinner. I still cook if he is running later than I am. He makes more of a mess but I don't mind much because I got tired of eating my own cooking....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calsmom62
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I wondered too.....in our neighborhood I know of 2 other working away from home moms and several stay at home moms whose hubbys do most or all the cooking.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I find it interesting that the thought of the husband doing the cooking didn't seem to enter into your mind. I know several families where the huband is the one who does most if not all of the cookiing.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Godspitgrl
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I am not sure. I know that with my mom she did not cook after her injury. So either I cooked, made a sandwhich, or did not eat.

LiveLearnEat
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I wonder, too! My mom always cooked, but I'm curious what happens with younger kids if both parents don't cook!

xx,

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating

elijahsmama09
by Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My Mom can cook(I love my Moms Goulash, pumpkin pie, so many things) , but growing up she often bought easy frozen things and microwavable foods because she was so busy. To this day I can not stand most microwavable meals. I do however have a soft spot for Tonys Pizza(so gross I know, lol) once in a great while from the microwave, or used to be HH stroganoff but they changed the recipe or something because it does not taste the same. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN