The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Making Healthy Meals Fast

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Getting a healthy meal on the table, fast, is a huge challenge for moms. After a long day of work, driving kids around to activities, keeping the house in decent shape and all the other things we do in a day, there's no wonder that sometimes the drive-through sings its siren song.

But with a little prep and planning, you can save yourself a ton of time and still manage to get a balanced meal on the table.

Cooking once and eating twice is a huge timesaver. If you're cooking chicken breasts one night, cook a couple extra; then you have chicken ready you can slice up and put on top of a salad, or throw into some quickly stir-fried vegetables later in the week. If you have time on the weekends, you can even cook a bunch, wrap them individually in foil, and freeze them…then you can just pull one out to defrost in the morning and it will be ready at dinner.

If you are at home in the late afternoon, but busy with the dinner-homework-bath-bedtime rush, meals that can be tossed in the oven in a more quiet moment and ignored until they are ready are wonderful. Line a roasting pan with foil, toss a chicken (or two!) on the rack and scatter potatoes (sweet, white or both), beets, carrots, peppers, onions, or whatever vegetables you like on the bottom (toss with a little olive oil first), and roast. The foil makes for easy cleanup, and you'll have delicious roast chicken and vegetables.  If you cook enough for two meals, the leftover chicken and veggies can be used all kind of ways….roll them into wraps, toss them with pasta, or mix them with brown rice and a little soy sauce. You can even use the chicken carcass to make stock and toss in any leftover meat and veggies for a comforting chicken soup.

What are your go-to healthy meals in a rush?

© iStockphoto.com/AbbieImages

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
2 moms liked this

Black bean quesadillas are my main go-to healthy meal.  They can be put together in minutes, and it doesn't take too long to cook them.  Plus, they're just plain yummy.  We all love them.

ceciliam
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Usually a roast chicken with roasted vegetables.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Baked chicken with salad or some vegetable

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Roast and veggies in the crockpot

elasmimi
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I do the thing about chicken breasts; I cook a couple of packages, eat 2 nights from it and shred and freeze some.

Threes.Company
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I started doing monthly meal plans.  I just went out last night to get all the stuff I need for March, minus the perishable items for weeks 2-4.  I will go out once a week to get the produce, milk, bread, etc.  But everything else is already purchased.  Now I don't have to worry about making things in a rush anymore, since I already know what I am cooking.  I do a lot in the crock pot, too, which helps me to cook when I can take my time instead of rushing at dinnertime.

Kmakksmom
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:30 PM
We use our crockpot a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Tacos or sandwiches are my main 2 quick but healthy go to meals.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Chicken and veggies

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Sandwhiches!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)