Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Steamed Pork Wontons for the Whole Family

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter will eat just about anything as long as it is encased in some kind of floury carbohydrate, which is why I knew I could make a dumpling she would like. You should try out this fun but slightly time consuming recipe. I got the idea to add the shredded carrots from the Weelicious website, which has some great recipes.

Ingredients:

For the wontons:
Wonton wrappers
1/2 lb group pork
1 egg
1 shredded carrot
2 sliced scallions
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil

For the dipping sauce:
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp mirin
1 sliced scallion

To prepare the wontons, mix the pork, egg, shredded carrot, scallions, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Peel off one wonton wrapper from the pile, and, with a little bowl of water next to you, put a teaspoon-full of the meat filling into the center of the wonton wrapper. Dip a clean finger into the water bowl and run a little water around the edge of the wonton wrapper, then fold it on the diagonal and press the seams together to seal. Repeat until you're out of filling, or wonton wrappers, whichever comes first.

Next, heat a little sesame oil in a pan till hot enough to sizzle if you splash it with water. Add a batch of your wontons to the pan (don't crowd them!). After a minute or so the bottom of the wonton should be getting golden and seared looking. At this point you are going to add 1/4-1/2 a cup of water to the pan and cover it so the inside of the wontons can steam for 4 minutes or so. Sacrifice a wonton to make sure they're done. Keep working in batches until all of these delicious bundles of joy are cooked. 

While steaming your wontons, mix the soy sauce, mirin and scallion to make your dipping sauce. Serve with rice, or just on its own. My daughter loves these, and she loves dipping sauces, when she isn't dumping them on the floor!

Do your kids have adventurous palates?

©istockphoto.com/pjohnson1
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Wontons are yumm!!

timon95
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

mmmm...they look and sound soooo yummy!

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

This sounds soo good !

I wish my kid had a palate....lol...he basically eats breakfast foods or fish sticks :(

bergencounty
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Looks yummy ... here is a pork coupon: http://www.porkbeinspired.com/registrationcoupon.aspx

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I llove these. Ds will try anything.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thanks for sharing

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:30 AM

My youngest is pretty adventurous, my older two not so much. But I am not either

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM
These look delish! I will definitely try these!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:29 PM

When they were little, my oldest was picky, next was very adventurous. Now they're both anxious to try lots of new things.

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 3, 2013 at 3:22 PM

TFS

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement