Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Cooking Gluten-Free

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 35 Replies

More and more people are taking steps to avoid gluten in their food. Some of this is because of true allergies or celiac disease; sometimes, it's people who have decided that they have a sensitivity to gluten or feel better when they avoid it, whether or not they actually have a gluten allergy.

Gluten is a protein produced by grains like wheat or barley, and it causes very bad digestive reactions in people with an allergy to the ingredient. Some people can tolerate very small amounts, other people get terribly sick from even a tiny bit.

The good news is, if you have someone you cook for who is gluten sensitive, it's getting easier all the time to find good blogs, books and products devoted to the gluten-free lifestyle.  Most big supermarkets will have a selection of gluten-free breads and other grain-based products, and you can find a lot of gluten-free foods by mail order online as well. More and more brands are reformatting their products to be gluten-free.

If you're interested in trying gluten-free meals just to see if it has an effect on your health, start by cutting out wheat-based foods. That doesn't mean saying goodbye to starch, though; you can enjoy potatoes, rice, quinoa, and things made from corn like tortillas. Check labels on dairy foods; most are gluten-free although some additives may not be. And meat, fish, tofu, etc. are all gluten-free and good sources of protein. Vegetables and fruit are gluten-free as well.

Unfortunately, gluten can lurk a lot of places you're not expecting. Salad dressing, soy sauce, broth, vinegar and more can all have gluten in them; unless one of these products is marked "gluten-free," assume they are not safe for people sensitive to gluten.

Gluten-free cooking can be a more complicated, but it can have big payoffs for the whole family, even those who aren't gluten sensitive. So many good-for-you foods are gluten-free that it can help nudge your diet to all the good foods you should be eating more of anyway.

Are you a gluten-free cook?

© iStockphoto.com/sasimoto

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Yep we are also sugar free, preservative free, artificial anything free, soy free, corn free, etc.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM

I have started making a few gluten free items but it's not something  I am overly concerned about.  I do try to stay away from gmo's and artificial ingredients. 

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I'm not But I have seen a few gluten free recipes that I have made and each of them was very good.

natesmom1228
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM

No

cara124
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

No a major concern in my house... about the only thing we try to stay away from is sugar or artificial sweeteners

cara124
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I've seen a few recipes that look promising but I haven't tryed them yet .

Quoting goddess99:

I'm not But I have seen a few gluten free recipes that I have made and each of them was very good.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yes. My fiance is gluten free. It causes horrible stomach pains.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Not here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:40 AM

No I'm not, but I read this article with interest since I wouldn't mind cutting back on gluten.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM

No I am not, but I have occasionally made gluten free goodies for my for my friends son

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement