Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

One Skillet Cabbage and Apple Pork Chops with Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't know about you, but most dinners for me are epic exercises in speed and efficiency, with a toddler who is both hungry and tired wrapped around my ankles, usually crying. On a work night I have 30 minutes or less to prepare dinner, so this is a go-to recipe for me. I love the crispy seared outside of the pork chops combined with the sweetness of the braised slaw.

Ingredients:

Fingerling Potatoes

Olive Oil

3-4 Pork Chops (Bone-in is yummiest, but any pork chop will do)

1/2 tsp Salt

1 tsp Pepper

1 tsp Thyme

1/2 head of Cabbage

2 Apples

1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1 cup Apple Cider

Preheat your oven to 450°. Cover a roasting pan in Reynolds Wrap and put a bunch of fingerling potatoes on the sheet. Toss these with olive oil, salt and pepper to your taste, and throw in the oven. Fingerling potatoes are great because they roast quickly and there is no chopping involved, perfect for speedy meals.

Next, heat a little olive oil in a skillet while you rub 3-4 pork chops down with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp of pepper and 1 tsp of thyme. When the skillet is good and hot add your pork chops, searing them on both sides (I like them really brown). Remove the porks chops and saute one sliced onion over medium in the pan, adding a little oil. While that browns, coarsely chop half a head of cabbage and 2 apples. I don't bother peeling the apples because of the screaming child at my feet, but feel free if you like. Add the cabbage, apples, apple cider vinegar and apple cider to the skillet. Return the seared pork chops to the skillet, cover and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes on medium.

By the time the pork chops are done, the potatoes should be roasted as well. 

Do you have any one-skillet meals you make often?

©istockphoto.com/LauriPatterson

by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM

sounds delicious thanks 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Sounds yummy!

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Thanks for sharing.  Sounds great.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:45 AM
That sounds really tasty! I have a few skillet meals I make but cant share as Im moblie right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I make onion porkchops and a stir fry.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Sounds good
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Sounds good!

I have a few one skillet meals that I make....chicken cacciatore, tuna casserole...

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Thanks for sharing

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Sounds interesting...

sukainah
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Sounds good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement