Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Pressure Cooking a Fast and Healthy Dinner

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

The best dinners are not necessarily the ones that take hours to cook or require you to slave away in front of a hot stove. There are some exceptions. This Christmas, I was the proud recipient of my first pressure cooker. I thought, how could I possibly need another kitchen gadget? Oh how I was wrong. This little thing has changed my life.

Through the power of steam, the pressure cooker creates delicious meals in more than half the time it would usually take on a regular stovetop or in an oven.

Creating is easy. Just choose what you are going to cook, along with a cooking liquid. This can be broth or water. You can flavor with anything - garlic, onions, herbs and more.

Tonight I am making a classic chicken and potato dinner. Since the potatoes are what take the most time, I plan on using the pressure cooker so that smashing them will be a snap. I simply wash, peel and cut as usual and place in the pressure cooker along with butter, water, salt, pepper and two cloves of garlic. In just ten minutes flat, I have perfectly soft and fluffy potatoes.

For the main course I line a baking sheet with tinfoil for chicken breasts. Before putting them in the oven, I drizzle it all with olive oil and sprigs of rosemary. Who's hungry for dinner? I am!

Moms, if you've used a pressure cooker, what meals have you made?

Photo Credit: Atila Altun via iStock Photography

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Chicken soup usually but I would love to know more 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I've never used a pressure cooker before.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I've never used a pressure cooker for a meal.  My mother has a pressure cooker/canner that she cans things with.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I have never used one myself but I'd love to own one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I never used one but my mom did when I was growing up. She always made meatballs in hers.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I have never used one before. Sounds handy though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I've never used a pressure cooker.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I've never used one.

sukainah
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I've never used a pressure cooker but have heard good things about them.

sukainah
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Same here, my mom and grandmother had one for canning

Quoting 4kidz916:

I've never used a pressure cooker for a meal.  My mother has a pressure cooker/canner that she cans things with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement