Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy Passover Meals

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

Passover is a week-long celebration of the Jews' liberation from slavery in Egypt. It's one of the most significant holidays in the Jewish calendar, and there are symbolic foods that are used in the Seder meal that is part religious service, part ritual meal. There are also traditional foods that families enjoy during the celebratory meal afterward. Both of these meals are big, elaborate gatherings that involve lots of cleaning and cooking for days in advance.

I'm not Jewish, but am familiar with the foods and the preparation from friends. The ceremony that surrounds the meal is really beautiful; it involves reading the story of the Jews' escape from slavery, a series of prayers and questions, and eating foods that symbolized the plight of their ancestors under the Egyptian rule.

And, of course, the traditional family meal sounds like a fantastic celebration. While some of the traditional foods, like beef brisket, are less than healthy, you can always try alternatives as long as they fall within kosher dietary restrictions, some of which become more strict at Passover (for example, no chametz, or leavening, is allowed). 

Roast chicken is traditional and very healthy; you can also sub in salmon cakes for gefilte fish. Chicken matzo ball soup is delicious and comforting and can be "healthied up" with the inclusion of lots of vegetables. Charoset, with its mixture of fruits, nuts and honey is pretty healthy as well and can be incorporated into cakes for dessert. Some strict interpretations of Jewish law mean that people forgo most grains for the seven- or eight-day Passover period, which means using potatoes and matzo meal as starch.

Chabad.org has an extensive collection of healthier kosher-for-Passover recipes, from healthy versions of traditional foods to whole foods menus that re-imagine them entirely.

Do you celebrate Passover? If so, what are you cooking?

(c) IStockPhoto.com/dra_schwartz

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

No I don't, but it's interesting learning about it.

1Trixie
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM

No! Thanks for sharing dear!

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I don't, but enjoy eating healthy 

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

We dont' celebrate Passover but I love to see the different dishes!.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

This is a good post to have, TFS. =)

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Thanks for sharing

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I don't, but thanks for the info!

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Tyvm for the info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
While I am not Jewish, we did celebrate a Seder at church. We also observed Lent and many of the same guidelines are observed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I dont but I have seen some great recipes on both the Betty Crocker & My Recipes sites.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement