Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

how much do you spend on groceries

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 47 Replies

a month? and how big is your family?

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BKozICan
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

About $600 for four. I expect it to go down soon because we are in two CSAs this year and are planning on buying a half a cow at $2.48/lb. These two things will keep me from going to the grocery stores three times a week and picking up impulse items.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I spend around $1000 for a family of 8

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I have wanted to join a CSA but have had a hard time saving for one

Quoting BKozICan:

About $600 for four. I expect it to go down soon because we are in two CSAs this year and are planning on buying a half a cow at $2.48/lb. These two things will keep me from going to the grocery stores three times a week and picking up impulse items.

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We have a family of 7 and 3 more I try to help and spend about $800 its so hard.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

BKozICan
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We did one last year--they had a four week "starter season" to decide if we liked it and we paid to get the rest of the season. This year we went with a second farm the offered more fruits than veggies and delivers on a different day. We will get mostly fruit on Tuesdays and mostly veggies on Thursdays .

Ours also allow multiple payments, like three or four through the season.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I don't try to keep my food budget down though. We are both chefs and we buy items that most families probably don't. I will spend more on quality ingredients and I will bring home whole ducks, sausage casings, foie gras, ostrich eggs, etc. Some months I go into $1500 depending on what I am buying. Especially if I buy meat.

Quoting Godspitgrl:

We have a family of 7 and 3 more I try to help and spend about $800 its so hard.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

ACrowsNest
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM

We're a family of three. I spend about $280-350 per month, depending on if I have to buy meat. My SO gets lunch catered at work three times a week, otherwise my spending might be a little higher for lunch stuff.

CJsMommy92
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM

200$ or less. It's my husband, son and I

weddingcountdown.com
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Our issue is allergies. I could def spend more if we had it but that is what we are limited to unforunately. We have gluten, casien, soy, oats, chocolate, egg, peaches, and red #40 allergies. :(

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

I don't try to keep my food budget down though. We are both chefs and we buy items that most families probably don't. I will spend more on quality ingredients and I will bring home whole ducks, sausage casings, foie gras, ostrich eggs, etc. Some months I go into $1500 depending on what I am buying. Especially if I buy meat.

Quoting Godspitgrl:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM

About $600-$700 a month for a family of 5 including household stuff, pet food ect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement