Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Corned Beef and Cabbage, Made Healthy

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm only a little bit Irish, but I love a good corned beef and cabbage dinner. We always have family over on the closest Sunday to St. Patrick's Day for a big traditional Irish-American meal. Yep, that's right, Irish-American; the traditional meal actually began with the Irish in New York because corned beef was a cheaper alternative to the traditional Irish fare of lamb.

The downside, if you're trying to eat more healthfully, is that the tradtional meal can be a calorie bomb. But with a few small tweaks, you can have your corned beef feast and eat well, too.

The beef: Make sure you ask for an extra-lean cut. Since it's a brisket, you need to cook it for a long time and via a moist method such as slow-cooking, braising or simmering, so there's no point to having a lot of fat anyway...and you'll be cooking it with a ton of vegetables and spices, so you don't need fat for flavor. It is chock-full of sodium (the "corned" part of its name comes from the salt used to cure it) so  stick with a smaller portion.

The vegetables: Don't skimp! We always throw in a ton of cabbage, onions and carrots. Make sure those take up at least half of your plate.

The potatoes: Instead of serving them with butter or sour cream, boil redskins whole and toss them with parsley and a hint of lemon, which will bring a nice bright note to this otherwise heavy meal.

The beer: Oh yes, this meal is delicious with a pint of stout. And the good news is that stouts are, surprisingly, lower in calories than many beers and have a ton of antioxidants and flavonoids. And they are so full of flavor it won't be hard to stick with just one.

Do you enjoy corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day?

(c)IStockPhoto/DustyPIxel

by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We usually have them on St. Patrick's Day, but we're planning on having it on Easter instead.  I already got our corned beef.  I plan on trimming off as much of the fat as I can, and I'll be throwing it in the crock pot with a chopped head of cabbage and some cut-up potatoes.  As for the beer, no thank you.  Can't stand the stuff!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Yum! Love it 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yes.  I think I may make it tonight.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
I have never made one myself but have been considering it this year, so thanks for the tips!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I love corned beef and cabbage.... Year round. We add lots of red rose or yukon gold potatoes, cabbage and onion... As for beer, I enjoy Amber Bock by Micalob. It is a tasty dark beer, and it works well in beer bread...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I just chuck it all into the crock pot. YUM!

No stout for me... Beer has gluten. Oh, and also, I hate the taste of beer. I'm Irish, but not THAT Irish! LOL

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I have never had it

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

We don't do anything special for St. Patrick's Day, except to wear green.  We're not big fans of corned beef so we wouldn't have this as a meal.

ceciliam
by on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I LOVE it!

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Love this!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN