Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Sweet and Savory Toddler Breakfasts to Make in Advance

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

I've been super into making batches of food in advance lately so I don't spend my entire life cooking and washing dishes. I spend an hour on Sundays making breakfasts for the entire week (and often some to freeze) and then I can actually enjoy my mornings rather than adding to the chaos. Here are two recipes that I've found to be great hits with the toddler set:

Black Cherry, Apple and Carrot Muffins

Ingredients:

1 1/4 c flour

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

1 egg

1/4 c brown sugar

1/4 c canola oil

1 c chopped apple

1/2 c shredded carrot

1/2 c fresh cherries or thawed frozen cherries

1/3 cup slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350°, line a muffin tin with muffin wrappers. Mix all of the ingredients together, adding a little water if necessary to ensure everything is incorporated. Fill muffin cups 2/3 of the way and bake for around 20 minutes.

Savory Egg, Bacon and Cheese Cups

Ingredients:

1 canister Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

5 eggs

1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 c crumbled cooked bacon

1/4 c parmesan cheese

1/2 c coarsely chopped spinach

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a muffin tin with 8 crescent rolls. I usually just flatten them a little so they will form a cup inside of the tin. Mix all of the other ingredients well and divide between the 8 rolls, try not to let it overflow. Fold the excess dough over the top of the egg mixture and bake for 15-20 minutes. The egg should be cooked completely before pulling out of the oven. The rest of the week allow yourself to sip coffee, take a leisurely shower, do a crossword puzzle, enjoy!

Do you have any recipes for meals you can make in advance?

©istockphoto.com/manyakotic

by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boshs1andonly
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Not yet, but it's something I'm looking into right now, as you said it would be nice to just be able to enjoy my coffee every morning

aneela
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:34 AM

this looks really interesting...i dont make ahead breakfast stuff

elasmimi
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

We just do quick breakfasts on weekday. I have a recipe for crockpot oatmeal that I plan to try.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh nice! Sounds good! I need to get into doing some foods ahead of time. My sister gave me a recipe for making some french toast ahead of time and putting it into the oven the day of...it's amazing!

KarenandErnie
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Oooh, care to share? I'd like to try that!

Quoting Flaca43:

Oh nice! Sounds good! I need to get into doing some foods ahead of time. My sister gave me a recipe for making some french toast ahead of time and putting it into the oven the day of...it's amazing!

KarenandErnie
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I do crockpot oatmeal sometimes too, and then just save the leftovers in the fridge for the next day. Hope your kiddo likes it! Mine usually likes it, but lately she's been on a hunger strike, so I just end up eating all of the oatmeal. Oh well.

Quoting elasmimi:

We just do quick breakfasts on weekday. I have a recipe for crockpot oatmeal that I plan to try.

natesmom1228
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

That sounds yummy!! No I don't make meals in advance.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Whenever I make waffles I make extra to put in the freezer for the week ahead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We usually just do quick breakfasts anyway, but I should really look  into doing some of these as they'd be healthier & more filling.  I would just need to find gluten free versions as I only do gluten free cooking/baking in my kitchen.

sukainah
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I don't have recipes pre-made but those sound really good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN