Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

My Mom's Chop Suey- Only Healthier

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

American chop suey was a staple in our house growing up. Quick and cheap to make, it's an easy dinner for a large family as ours was. Now that I'm a mom I've decided to put a spin on my mom's amazing chop suey recipe to make it a little bit healthier, with a leaner protein and lots of vegetables. This chop suey is so good it's hard to eat just one bowl.

Ingredients:

1 lb dry penne pasta

1 lb ground chicken

2 tbsp olive oil

1 yellow onion

1 red pepper

3 medium carrots

1 14 oz can diced tomatoes

1 14 oz can tomato soup

Celery salt to taste

Boil a large pot of water, add your pasta. Meanwhile, chop your carrots and add to a pan with oil, let cook over medium by themselves for a few minutes while you chop the onion and red pepper. Add the onion and red pepper to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent and all the vegetables are soft. Set the veggies aside and cook the ground chicken. By now your pasta is probably cooked so drain it and add the cooked chicken and vegetables, stirring to incorporate everything. Drain the diced tomatoes and add it to the pot along with the tomato soup, stirring well again.

Add celery salt to taste. Don't skip the celery salt! It is a magical key ingredient. Feel free to top with a little parmesan cheese as well.

Do you have any recipes for old standards that you've made healthier for your family?

Šistockphoto.com/JoeGough

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 14, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Sounds tasty

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:48 AM

TYFS

Harris06
by Megan on Mar. 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I have never made this but so am now!!

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:24 PM

This looks tasty although I would make some slight changes like the tomato soup (loaded with sodium).  I use brown rice pasta now and it's pretty good with a slightly different texture.

All of our old standbys have been "reformatted" to be healthier.

KarenandErnie
by Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Heh, agreed about the tomato soup. I'm sure you can find low sodium tomato soup, though. I haven't tried brown rice pasta, I'll have to look for it now!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

This looks tasty although I would make some slight changes like the tomato soup (loaded with sodium).  I use brown rice pasta now and it's pretty good with a slightly different texture.

All of our old standbys have been "reformatted" to be healthier.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Sounds good!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:10 AM

thanks sounds good

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I don't have celery salt on hand, but it may be worth getting some. Thank you for the recipe. My mom didn't skim the fat from her spaghetti sauce, so I do to make it healthier.

Rushn311
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Looks good!

natesmom1228
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Yes, I use ground turkey in many recipes that I someone would use beef.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN