Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

My Mom's Chop Suey- Only Healthier

Posted by   + Show Post

American chop suey was a staple in our house growing up. Quick and cheap to make, it's an easy dinner for a large family as ours was. Now that I'm a mom I've decided to put a spin on my mom's amazing chop suey recipe to make it a little bit healthier, with a leaner protein and lots of vegetables. This chop suey is so good it's hard to eat just one bowl.

Ingredients:

1 lb dry penne pasta

1 lb ground chicken

2 tbsp olive oil

1 yellow onion

1 red pepper

3 medium carrots

1 14 oz can diced tomatoes

1 14 oz can tomato soup

Celery salt to taste

Boil a large pot of water, add your pasta. Meanwhile, chop your carrots and add to a pan with oil, let cook over medium by themselves for a few minutes while you chop the onion and red pepper. Add the onion and red pepper to the pan and saute until the onions are translucent and all the vegetables are soft. Set the veggies aside and cook the ground chicken. By now your pasta is probably cooked so drain it and add the cooked chicken and vegetables, stirring to incorporate everything. Drain the diced tomatoes and add it to the pot along with the tomato soup, stirring well again.

Add celery salt to taste. Don't skip the celery salt! It is a magical key ingredient. Feel free to top with a little parmesan cheese as well.

Do you have any recipes for old standards that you've made healthier for your family?

Šistockphoto.com/JoeGough

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
arpazia
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:31 AM
That looks yummy!
I do try to X out as much carbs as possible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kellynh
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Lol, I remember when I told my DH for the first time I was making ACS for dinner. He had no idea what it was.  :)

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I've just started cooking so I haven't altered any of my recipes yet but this looks really good.

ceciliam
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Looks good!

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Not on my own but have found healthier ones online.
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:10 AM

yum

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Oh my I could eat the heck out of this, LOL!

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

sounds good to me! 

sukainah
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM

That looks really yummy!  We really don't have any old standard recipes that we've made healthier though

Kainalu55
by Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 3:42 PM

sounds simple and tasty!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement