Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Garlic Marinated Vegetables In a Flash

Posted by   + Show Post

Early spring is my favorite time of year to hit my local farmer's market. The air is fresh, the sun is out, and everyone just seems to have a spring in his or her steps. But it's also the time of year when veggies like zucchinis, spring peas, cauliflower and more are at their peak.

But just the pure beauty of these vegetables is not enough to get my family to eat them. I have to make sure they are as flavorful as possible. That's why I've started marinating my veggies before baking or sautéing them.

I use my handy garlic press to quick chop garlic cloves to add to my mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette. In no time flat I have a nice marinade. Sometimes I will even use a bit of Dijon mustard for an added kick.

For a quick seal of flavor, I put the veggies into a freezer bag and pour the marinade over them. I toss it all together and let it sit for an hour before cooking. And there you have it, delicious veggies fit for the entire family.

Moms, what are your favorite ways to cook an easy and fast veggie side?  

Photo courtesy of Franckreporter, iStock Photography

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-34):
eustacejessica
by Jess on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

yum! Thanks for sharing! I love to roast or grill my veggies!

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I love garlic!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Yum!  That sounds good!

Here is one of my favorite vegetable side dish recipes:

Grilled Veggies

½ cup red wine vinegar or cider vinegar

¼ cup olive or vegetable oil

2 garlic cloves, minced

½ teaspoon dried basil

½ teaspoon dried thyme

½ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning

1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed

1 large red onion, sliced and separated into rings

1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips

1 large sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch strips

In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first 6 ingredients; mix well.  Add vegetables and turn to coat.  Seal and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight, turning once.

Drain the reserve marinade.  Place vegetables in a grill basket or disposable foil pan with slits cut in the bottom.  Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.  Turn, baste with reserved marinade.  Grill 5 to 8 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.

4-6 servings

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM
I usually boil
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN