Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

first time making corned beed and cabbage

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 9 Replies
Whats the easiest and best way?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NEMommaOf3
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

The easiest and fastest way is in a pressure cooker; if you don't have one get the largest pot you have (you may have to cook your veggies and brisket separately). Remove the core from your cabbage head and quarter it. Lay it in the bottom of the pot. Peel your carrots and cut them in half. If you are using small new potatoes with a thin skin give them a rinse and leave them whole; older potates such as russets you'll want to peel and quarter at least. Peel an onion and quarter it add to the vegetables in the pot. If you have a large enough pot to cook all together, rinse your brisket and lay on top of the vegetables. If you are cooking in two pots, cover the veggies with water (I use a can of Guinness then top the pot off with water) and bring to a boil; cover and let simmer about three hours. START your brisket cooking at the same time, either in the pot all together or in the separate pot. Rinse your brisket, sprinkle the seasoning packet over, and cover with liquid either straight beer, water, or a mix of the two. Boil for about 10 minutes then reduce and let simmer til you hit the three hour mark.

One of our fave sides is my homemade Guinness Beer Bread but you can use any fizzy beverage you have on hand to make it, doesn't have to be Guinness doesn't even have to be beer!

-3 cups flour

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-4 tsp baking powder

-1/3 cup oatmeal (plain, whole oats style)

-2/3 cup dark brown sugar (just use what kind you have)

-12 oz Guinness (or other beer, or frothy/fizzy beverage)

-1 Tablespoon oats

-1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan with the 1 Tablespoon butter. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 cup oats and brown sugar. Slowly beat in the liquid using a wooden spoon or low speed on an electric mixer. Don't overmix but you don't want it too lumpy either. Pour the batter into the greased pan and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon oats on top. Bake for 50 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean. Check at 45 minutes just in case the bread is done early. Place on a cooling rack and cool to room temperature

Small10
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Ah.. Thank you SO much!!! :)

Quoting NEMommaOf3:

The easiest and fastest way is in a pressure cooker; if you don't have one get the largest pot you have (you may have to cook your veggies and brisket separately). Remove the core from your cabbage head and quarter it. Lay it in the bottom of the pot. Peel your carrots and cut them in half. If you are using small new potatoes with a thin skin give them a rinse and leave them whole; older potates such as russets you'll want to peel and quarter at least. Peel an onion and quarter it add to the vegetables in the pot. If you have a large enough pot to cook all together, rinse your brisket and lay on top of the vegetables. If you are cooking in two pots, cover the veggies with water (I use a can of Guinness then top the pot off with water) and bring to a boil; cover and let simmer about three hours. START your brisket cooking at the same time, either in the pot all together or in the separate pot. Rinse your brisket, sprinkle the seasoning packet over, and cover with liquid either straight beer, water, or a mix of the two. Boil for about 10 minutes then reduce and let simmer til you hit the three hour mark.

One of our fave sides is my homemade Guinness Beer Bread but you can use any fizzy beverage you have on hand to make it, doesn't have to be Guinness doesn't even have to be beer!

-3 cups flour

-1/2 teaspoon salt

-4 tsp baking powder

-1/3 cup oatmeal (plain, whole oats style)

-2/3 cup dark brown sugar (just use what kind you have)

-12 oz Guinness (or other beer, or frothy/fizzy beverage)

-1 Tablespoon oats

-1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan with the 1 Tablespoon butter. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 cup oats and brown sugar. Slowly beat in the liquid using a wooden spoon or low speed on an electric mixer. Don't overmix but you don't want it too lumpy either. Pour the batter into the greased pan and sprinkle 1 Tablespoon oats on top. Bake for 50 minutes. The bread is done when a toothpick poked in the middle comes out clean. Check at 45 minutes just in case the bread is done early. Place on a cooling rack and cool to room temperature

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

My favorite way is to cook it in the crock pot.   I core and chop the cabbage and lay it at the bottom of the crock.  Then, I lay the corned beef and seasonings on top of the cabbage.  If I'm doing other veggies, I chop them and lay them around the corned beef.  Then, I turn on the crock pot to low and let it cook for about 4-6 hours, until the meat is tender.

Harris06
by Megan on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I am so upset that I didn't get to make it this year!! I was so looking forward to it. :(

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I love cooking it in the slow cooker..best way ever in my opinion!

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Oh no. I'm sorry. Maybe make it anyway!

Quoting Harris06:

I am so upset that I didn't get to make it this year!! I was so looking forward to it. :(

Harris06
by Megan on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM

That is what I am thinking. We just moved and had to buy everything so I didn't get around to making dinner this weekend. You can't cook without pots/pans/crockpot/etc. haha

Quoting Flaca43:

Oh no. I'm sorry. Maybe make it anyway!

Quoting Harris06:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 3:34 PM

have no idea but it sounds good

eustacejessica
by Jess on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I have no idea. I never make it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN