Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I never knew what to do with tomatillos, the firm, tart relative of the tomato with the delicate husk. When my family bought a farm share last summer I sadly watched our little collection of tomatillos rot for lack of a decent recipe to use them in. However, that won't happen this summer because I just discovered a great way to use tomatillos in guacamole. Roasting the tomatillos brings out the sweetness, but they still remain a bright flavor when added to creamy avocado.

Ingredients:

7 green tomatillos

1/2 red onion, minced

2 serrano chiles, seeded and chopped, or leave the seeds in if you can handle the heat

Handful of cilantro, chopped

1 tsp salt

3 ripe, medium sized avocados

Juice of 1 large lime

1 small tomato, seeded and chopped

Peel the husk off of the tomatillos, cut the stem end off and roast at 400° till the tomatillos are soft and golden brown. Put them in a bowl and mash well with a fork. Add the onion, chiles, cilantro and salt and mash those as well. If you have a pestle you can use that to really form a paste, but otherwise a fork is fine. Add the avocado and mash lightly, incorporating the paste with the avocado. Add your lime juice and stir well, and finish by stirring in the seeded and chopped tomatoes. You can omit the tomatoes if you don't want chunks in your guacamole, but I happen to like that. Serve with tortilla chips, or with tacos, or as a healthy condiment on sandwiches.

Do you have any recipes that use tomatillos? Please share!

©istockphoto.com/radu984

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by Megan on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Oh this does sound good! Thank you! I never know what to do with tomatillos either.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My husband uses tomatillos sometimes in cooking.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM

No, I haven't used them either. This does sound good!

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

That looks delicious!  I was looking at getting a box share but in my area they are almost $700!!! Not this year!

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:01 PM

TFS

KarenandErnie
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

We split ours last year with another small family and it was $250, which isn't bad. $700 seems like a LOT!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

That looks delicious!  I was looking at getting a box share but in my area they are almost $700!!! Not this year!

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:27 PM

How tasty! I don't usually buy tomatillos. 

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Yummy

Threes.Company
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I am not sure I have ever had tomatillos!  :)  Well, at least not in anything we've made at our house! 

I love guac, though!

Threes.Company
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Holy cow!!!!  $700?!

Quoting emilyrosenj:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement