Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

A Healthier Easter Menu

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'll admit, Easter tends to be a day I let any kind of healthy eating go by the wayside. My family is Polish and we have a huge, meat-filled dinner that is absolutely bad for me but also absolutely delicious. But we have, in recent years, added in some healthier choices. Here's some ideas to improve the health profile of your Easter feast without depriving you of deliciousness.

1) Enjoy spring veggies! Asparagus, peas and new potatoes are all in season now, and taste especially good after a winter of root vegetables. Toss asparagus with some lemon and olive oil, add peas to a green salad, or roast some fingerling potatoes with kosher salt for a simple and easy side.

2) Lighten up brunch. For an egg casserole, simply replace two whole eggs with three egg whites, and use a cheese like Parmesan, aged cheddar or Gruyere that packs a big flavor punch so you can use less. Consider bulking it up with spinach, roasted red peppers or mushrooms, as well. And make sure a fruit salad is on the table...strawberries are in season now.

3) Mind the meat. You should aim to have half your plate filled with vegetables, one quarter with starch, and one-quarter with meat. Use it as a condiment for other dishes, instead of the main event. Lean ham, roast lamb and beef tenderloin are all relatively light choices. 

4) Don't forget the bunny! Dark chocolate is actually beneficial to health, so break off those bunny ears and nibble away. Just stop at one ounce.

What are your favorite Easter dishes?

(c)IStockPhoto/DeniseBush

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM

These are some great tips. I didn't realize it was asparagus season... Hopefully that means it will get less expensive in the store, since it's one of our favorites!

I haven't planned an Easter menu yet. I think it will just be our immediate family, so it's likely that nothing too spectacular will happen.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:42 AM

I love what ever my dad makes.

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Geat tips for eating healthier

Godspitgrl
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Like the tips, I like salads
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I like all of the traditional Easter dishes, turkey, ham, collards, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes.   This year we will be having the turkey and ham, but our sides will be mashed cauliflower, fresh green beans and either roasted or mashed sweet potatoes.  I may make a kale salad as well.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I can't say that I have a favorite, I enjoy what sil makes. 

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I do enjoy all the chocolate! Lol

AshleyLSwain
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I am replacing mashed potatoes with a 1/3 potato 2/3 cauliflower mash. The good news, no one can tell the difference, the better news, it's healthier.

I am also doing a much healthier dessert, a banana split parfait. It's reduced fat/sugar nilla wafers, bananas, sugar free banana pudding, sugar free choc pudding, sugar free strawberry preserves mixed with reduced fat/sugar cool whip in layers. YUM! Also better for them than cakes and pies and again, you can't tell it.

This plus a lean ham, peas and green beans, deviled eggs made with reduced calorie/fat mayo, a beef and cheese ball made with low/fat cr cheese and fresh veggies and low fat/cal dip.

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I would say the traditional dishes for us but it does include veggies, hehe.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:51 AM

thanks deviled eggs 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN