Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Slow Cooker Short Cuts - Perfectly Cooked Beef Stew

Posted by   + Show Post

It might be Spring, but in some parts of the country there is still a nip in the air. So making a heart meal like slow cooked beef stew is still an option. Thinking it's going to take forever. No way, if you use your slow cooker.

Star off with about a pound of cubed beef. It doesn't matter if you get a more inexpensive cut of beef, because slow cooking is great for bringing out flavor and tenderizing. Brown it in a frying pan with a bit of oil first then transfer to the slow cooker. Slice up some carrots and potatoes and place in the pot. When it's half way done, add in some diced onions and celery. You can also add some frozen peas or corn. Cook until tender on low for about five hours. When done, add a bit of beef broth and seasoning.

Give it a stir and serve with slices of crusty, chewy French bread. Now how's that for a set it and forget it meal. This is definitely a family favorite.

Moms, what is your favorite slow cooker meal to make the family?

Photo courtesy of Snappy Girl via iStock Photography.

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
ceciliam
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I have some stew beef....I might make this today!

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Sounds great.  I use my crock pot for all sorts of recipes.  One of our favorites is lemon garlic chicken in the crock.

soccer_mom1999
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We make beef stew all the time in the crockpot. We most often make pulled pork sandwiches in the crockpot.

Nicole060812
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
So you don't add the broth until the end? I thought the broth helps keep it moist through out cooking
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicole060812
by New Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Can you share :)

Quoting 4kidz916:

Sounds great.  I use my crock pot for all sorts of recipes.  One of our favorites is lemon garlic chicken in the crock.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I love beef soup in my crockpot. I just put in all the ingredients, turn it on high and let it cook half the day. It turns out so yummy!

eustacejessica
by Jess on Mar. 30, 2013 at 8:52 PM

tfs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement