The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Ice Cream Cakes

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 12 Replies

Has anyone made one?? I did and I didnt do too bad for my first time. I know what I will and wont do next time. I am excited to make another one. Anyone willing to share any tips for making one?? Ooops didnt change the time stamp on my camera.

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I make one for my son's birthday every year. He always wants chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream in it. LOL

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I never have.  In fact, I can only remember one time I've ever had an ice cream cake, and that was for my 13th birthday (almost 15 years ago).  My mom got that one at Winn-Dixie.

mbc324
by New Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I decided next time not to use cake, only for the bottom. It gets too hard & dry. Next time just ice cream with fudge and crushed oreos for in between the ice cream layers. I used cool whip for the frosting, it worked awesome and was yummy.  Dairy Queens are really good but expensive, $30 here and it cost me approximately $14.

IloveElephants
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I have made a lot of these.  I usually use a springform pan to assemble them.  Place whatever cake flavor you want-I just do a single layer-you can freeze the other layer for another use.  I make my own ice cream, but you can use whatever flavor store bought you want.  Let it soften a little so it's spreadable.  Use an off-set spatula so you can spread it easily.  Next I add a chocolate fudge layer.  This you can make yourself, or buy a jar of chocolate fudge ice cream topping.  You will need to let the cake refreeze after each layer application.  Finally I "frost" it with whipped cream.  I apply it thick and level it smooth.  Then you can write on it or add chocolate shavings, sprinkles, pipe on some whipped cream stars or shells or whatever garnishes you want. 

You can also slice a single layer cake so that you have 2 thin layers, or slice them all and have 4 thin layers.  You could also make a dome/bombe/zuccuto cake which is really fun.  Get a bowl that is somewhat shallow but wide.  Bake a cake using a sheet pan (cookie sheet or 1/2 sheet pan)  Then cut the cake to make it fit the bowl, saving a pre-measured circle piece for the top (which will be the bottom of the cake when flipped over.  Make sure you line the bowl with plastic wrap so it will be easy to "unmold" the cake.  

Fill the cake with your favorite ice cream, add the circle piece and cover with the plastic wrap.  Freeze.  Now you can unmold the cake and frost it with regular frosting, you could do a meringue and then it would be a baked Alaska after bruleeing it with a torch or under the broiler; you could frost it with whipped cream applied in big swirls.

Cakes are fun!

skippito
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this
I do make them, but very simple versions. I bake the cake of choice in a 9x13"pan, let it cool completely then freeze it. I buy the ice cream in the box that can be unfolded completely leaving a "block" of ice cream. I cut 1 1/2" thick slabs of ice cream off the block and place a layer covering the cake and then freeze that. Once it's solidly frozen I frost it with a layer of whipped cream and freeze again. Simple but dee-lish!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LiveLearnEat
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Ice cream cakes definitely trump regular cakes! That one looks really good!!

xx,

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome job hun! Kudos!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Scottishbrat33
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I never made an ice cream cake.It looks yummy.eating

othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I have never made one.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I've never made one, but I enjoy eating the ones from Baskin Robins lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)