Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Shortcuts For The Time-Starved

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sometimes, even dedicated home cooks find themselves completely pressed for time. I happen to be that person right now, actually! I'm trying to resist the lure of the drive-through and actually follow a healthy diet, but with everything else I have to do (and want to do) that can be tough. Here are some of  my mainstays when even "30 minutes or less" recipes aren't fast enough:

Rotisserie chicken. They're healthy if you strip off the salty and fatty skin, and are inexpensive and delicious. I steam some veggies and make a quick starch for my son the picky eater, and dinner's on in like 10 minutes.

Nuke some rice: I love those little packages of frozen brown rice. They're much more expensive than boiling your own, but when I'm up against a time crunch, they're great recipe starters or sides.

Pasta dinner: When I am truly desperate, I boil some pasta, throw in some vegetables a few minutes before it's done cooking and toss the whole thing with olive oil and Parmesan. If my husband's on duty, he'll mix in tomato sauce for him and the kids (I hate tomato sauce, which I know is weird).

What are your time-crunch shortcuts?

(c)IStockPhoto

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Every once in a while, I'll get a raw whole chicken and poach it.  No seasonings, just plain water.  Then, I'll shred the meat by hand and portion it into meal-sized amounts.  I'll bag them and freeze them.  Then, if I need chicken, I can just pull it out of the freezer, and I just have to thaw it and add it to the meal.  I also cook up ground beef, portion it, and freeze it for the same purpose.

elasmimi
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I do this too!

Quoting taniamorse85:

Every once in a while, I'll get a raw whole chicken and poach it.  No seasonings, just plain water.  Then, I'll shred the meat by hand and portion it into meal-sized amounts.  I'll bag them and freeze them.  Then, if I need chicken, I can just pull it out of the freezer, and I just have to thaw it and add it to the meal.  I also cook up ground beef, portion it, and freeze it for the same purpose.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Sandwiches, pasta or soup.

GwenMB
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I have 3 or 4 quick meals - a quick chili, spaghetti & several noodle or hot dishes I can make quickly.

sukainah
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

My short-cut is pulling something prepared out of the freezer LOL

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM

TFS

charlene_kyle
by Charlene on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Crockpot =) We use ours when we know we will be rushed in the evening.

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I like my crock pot. If I feel its going to be one of those crunch days I will toss stuff in there and it will be done for dinner

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:16 AM

spaghetti is a fast one for us too

Quoting GwenMB:

I have 3 or 4 quick meals - a quick chili, spaghetti & several noodle or hot dishes I can make quickly.

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Crock Pot!!  I usually also have a couple of quick meals on hand.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN