Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Homemade Pizza Dough

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this

A lot of people are afraid of making baked goods that have yeast in them. Some recipes are pretty temperamental and require a lot of commitment, so I can understand their hesitation. However, pizza dough is the most forgiving yeast recipe I can think of. Don't have time to let it rise? Give it 20 minutes and it'll be fine.

Ingredients:

1 tsp instant yeast

2 tsp sugar

2 c all purpose flour

1.5 c warm water

1 tsp salt

1 tsp olive oil

In a bowl (the bowl of your stand mixer if you have one), add the yeast, sugar, a pinch of flour and a couple tablespoons of your warm water. Stir gently and allow the yeast mixture to bloom for a few minutes. It should be foamy when you come back to it. Next, add the rest of your flour and salt. Start stirring in warm water (or you can use the dough hook attachment on your stand mixture if you have one) in small increments until the dough is kind of sticky and there are no longer lumps. You may not use all of the water, or you may use more. I actually never measure my water so you kind of just have to eyeball it. Next, roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it by hand, pulling the dough toward you, then folding it in half away from you, and then rotating a quarter turn. Do this 40 times or so, or if you have a stand mixer (you lucky duck, you!) then just let the mixer run for 5 minutes or so. The dough should look smooth and pliable. Put it back in your bowl and rub a little olive oil on the dough, then cover it with plastic wrap. At this point you can either put it in the fridge overnight to enjoy the next day, or you can let it rise for an hour at room temperature (or whatever amount of time you have).

Once the dough has risen, bring it up to room temperature and then punch it lightly to expel excess gasses. Lightly oil a pizza pan, stretch your dough to the desired thickness and shape, top with delicious toppings (can I recommend some fancy mozzarella and lots of fresh basil?) and bake for 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees.

Do you ever make your own pizza dough?

©istockphoto.com/LauriPatterson

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IloveElephants
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I agree, homemade pizza dough is super easy.  My recipe is a lot different than yours, but there are so many variations.  I would recommend an oven temp at 525 if you'd like a nice crisp crust and also use a pizza stone.

powow65
by Kimmy the new cook on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Omg! Yes!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Danelle on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Will have to try this

sanj1213
by Juanita on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I have before. This sounds amazing. 

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I tried one with wheat flour, and it was a flop. :-\ This recipe sounds fairly straightforward, though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KarenandErnie
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Wheat flour is full of sad feelings. I've made some horrible things with wheat flour.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I tried one with wheat flour, and it was a flop. :-\ This recipe sounds fairly straightforward, though.

IloveElephants
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Wheat flour is very heavy and dense.  You would want to do a ratio of 2:1  such as 2 parts semolina flour to 1 part wheat flour.  For example in the OP's recipe calling for 2 cups flour you would use 1 1/3 cups white flour to 2/3 cup wheat flour.

Flaca43
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I haven't, but I would love to try to with the kids! I think it would be fun!

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this
It certainly caused me to be full of sad feelings!

Quoting KarenandErnie:

Wheat flour is full of sad feelings. I've made some horrible things with wheat flour.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi!

wheat flour...yech! But try White Whole Wheat flour, it is way better, lighter, the flavor without the dense. It is made from an albino strain of wheat, with same nutritional benefits. I like King Arthur, and if you don't use bread flour, start! :-) more protein and nice feel to the kneading. I use my food processor and put the dry ingredients in the bowl, and slowly poor in the yeast and water that I whisked together in a measuring cup and let sit until foamy, about 5-8 minutes. I only switch 1/4 C wheat flour for 1/4 C white in most recipes, I've used a 50/50 ratio of WWW to White but you gotta like the taste. In our family, the closest we come to the box kind of pizza we grew up on in the '50s, the better. I'll make a double batch, divide the dough into 8 balls, and put bowls of toppings in a line, let everyone shape and build their own, and bake in batches on a pizza stone. Fun and Yum!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN