Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Delicious Rhubarb (Really!)

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies
2 moms liked this

I don't want to frighten away this beautiful weather we've been having off and on, but it does appear that spring has finally sprung. And that means spring vegetables are in full effect right now. After months of sad non-seasonal produce (whether you go frozen or canned, or shell out for the stuff that's been shipped for hundreds of miles) you can finally find fresh, local, delicious vegetables at the farmer's market or grocery store.

One thing that you may not have tried is the veggie that cooks like a fruit: rhubarb. These tall, slender stalks (think pinkish-red celery in looks if not taste) are tart but more earthy than lemon or oranges. It's best sliced, tossed with sugar and cooked into a sauce or as filling for a pie or the fruit in a cobbler. However, the people I know who grew up on farms and know what to do with the gift of perennial produce love rhubarb stalks simply washed and dipped, bite by bite, into a saucer of sugar.

When we moved into our house, we inherited a huge rhubarb plant (and happened to move in in the springtime, right as it was becoming perfectly ripe). My husband, who's descended from farmers and thus all about the beauty of rhubarb, was thrilled. I was a little less so, but gamely learned how to use it. The best, and most health-conscious, thing I came up with was to mix it with an already-sweet fruit like strawberries so it can be made edible without having to add too much sugar. They taste great paired, not surprising given the principle of "what grows together goes together." It cooks beautifully into a vibrant, deep pink, sweet-tart sauce or jam and is amazing on frozen yogurt or even eaten on its own like applesauce.

Rhubarb boasts some pretty hardcore health benefits: It's very high in Vitamin C and dietary fiber, and a good source of Vitamin K.  Just don't eat the leaves…they're full of a toxin called oxalic acid that can cause poisoning in high doses.

Do you like rhubarb? How do you use it?

(c)IStock Photo/lvinst

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I've never actually had rhubarb.  I'd be willing to try it, though.

LOswald0314
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

I like my great aunts rhubarb pie, but that's the only way I've had it.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I have only heard of rhubarb pie .. but never tried it

timon95
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

i do sometimes - dipped in sugar

aneela
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

never had it..have to try it

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I don't really care for it.

othermom
by Danelle on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I liked i when I ws a kid. Not s much ny more. I might trying to make strawberry rhubarb fruit leather this year. If I don't I am digging up the rhubarb from my garden

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I've never had it but I'm willing to try it especially after reading this.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Yum! I love strawberry rhubarb pie!

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM

My grandma makes the best rhubarb bars. I will try to get the recipe from her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN