Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spatulas Galore - Rubber vs. Metal

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

When I first moved into my own apartment, I had the bare minimum of kitchen gadgets and tools. I knew little about what tool was best for the right jobs and always used what I had on hand. It seemed to do the trick.

It wasn't until I was engaged and signed up for our wedding registry that my eyes were opened to the world of all things kitchen related. I remember being obsessed with rubber spatulas - the cute and often colorful tools used to mix, scrape and scramble.  I still have a soft spot in my heart for them today. In fact, I have rubber spatulas for each holiday. You can find them at your local discount store in holiday coordinating colors.

But there was more to the world of spatulas than just the rubber versions. There was also metal and plastic spatulas that were used when cooking on the stove top to flip meats, eggs or even pancakes. They worked to break a part ground beef or turkey when frying in the pan. They were also a great method for turning veggies over while they were sautéing. I found these types to be great multi purpose tools. But the metal versions worked better for high heat tasks like when using a grill or a cast iron skillet. Plastic spatulas were better for more generic methods of every day cooking.

I now have a great collection of these as well - four plastic and two metal. And while you might think that this is a lot, I use them all regularly!

Moms, what is your favorite type of spatula and why? 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arpazia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Plastic or rubber.
I don't use metal on any of my pots or pans.
We do have a few metal, they are used for grilling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I have a few plastic that are my go to types, and  a couple wooden ones .. my favorite is the old small log cabin syrup one that came many years back as a promotional thing ...it's just the right thickness the right size the right shape.. 

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

NO metal I will not sratch the inside of my pans! 

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I love silicone spatulas for scraping things clean!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My favorite is a hard rubber spatula. It's perfect for both pans and bowls and is more stiff than the silicone spatulas. I only have one and have been unable to find a second one. I believe it came with my food processer.

kellynh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Silicone, wood, metal, rubber... I have them all. Totally depends on what I am cooking!! 

kellynh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

My mom has them in all rainbow colors. :)

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I prefer the rubber spatulas,I have both though.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Rubber or plastic. Metal would scratch up my pans!

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the bamboo spatulas from Pampered Chef (I think they are called something different, but I see one that looks like a Pampered Chef one in the picture).  They work so well for so many tasks - they are constantly in use.  I also like that they are dishwasher safe - many wooden tools can't be put in the dishwasher.

I also like the plastic & metal ones - they each have their specific uses & are needed for those things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN