The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Whisk It to Win It - Which Whisk Is Right for You?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 42 Replies

Okay, it might seem elementary to have a whole blog post dedicated to whisks, but just think about how many times you use them in your own kitchen over the course of a year. I have about four that I use on a regular basis and all serve a different job. Think you don't need one? Here are just a few of the many things you can do with a whisk in your own kitchen:

Beat scrambled eggs

Make homemade whipped cream

Fluff egg whites into meringue 

Make homemade mayonnaise

Use to mix dry items while baking instead of sifting

Large whisks are great for heavy duty beating jobs like the above-mentioned whipped cream or meringue.

Smaller whisks are great for mixing salad dressings or scrambling a quick bowl of eggs.

There are also ball, tornado, and French whisks - all of which have their own specific purpose from making the perfect sauce to developing the creamiest of puddings.

A dough whisk is exactly what it sounds like. It is specifically formed to help mix wet and dry ingredients when forming dough for bread and pastries.

Moms, how many whisks do you have in your kitchen and what do you use them for when cooking?

by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

I have 3 or 4 handheld whisks, plus the whisk attachment for my electric mixer.  For more difficult tasks, such as whipping egg whites, I use the whisk on the electric mixer.  I use the handheld whisks for other, simpler tasks.  I don't use them for scrambling up eggs, though.  I just use a fork for that.

LOswald0314
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I have one that I use for eggs, one bigger one that I use for mixing baked goods, and the one that goes on my stand mixer.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I have three whisks.  Two regular sized and one small one.  I would love to have a dough whisk.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I have 2 about the same size

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I love  my whisk :)  I just have one though.

cjsmom1
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I really need one, but don't have one right now
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I have 1 lol

sanj1213
by Juanita on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have two. Usually I just use one for my homemade hotcakes. 

sanj1213
by Juanita on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Forgot to add one is small and one is big. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I have 3 or 4 in various sizes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)