Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Boost That Protein (Without Buying a Cow)

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 39 Replies

Thankfully, the "low-carb everything" trend of about 10 years ago seems to have fallen by the wayside. However, there is more and more evidence that restricting carbhydrates and boosting protein intake can have all kinds of health benefits. A study published in the Journal of The American Medical Association this past summer found that people who followed low carb diets burned more calories and kept weight off longer than people who followed a high-carb, low-fat diet.

And, anecdotally, I decided this summer to boost my protein intake and lost five pounds without even trying, which is nothing short of miraculous. More to the point, I had more energy, my skin improved, and I did not get the wicked midafternoon sugar cravings that tend to be my downfall in eating more healthfully.

Here's the problem: I don't like meat, particularly. So I have had to figure out ways to get enough protein without carrying around beef jerky everywhere I go. Here's what helped:

Start with breakfast. I love muffins and pancakes as much as the next person (probably more) but a cup of Greek yogurt, natural (no-sugar) peanut butter on whole-grain toast or some scrambled eggs gets me through the morning without needing to snack until lunch.

Have protein-rich snacks ready. I love string cheese, nuts (especially almonds), hard-boiled eggs, roasted chickpeas, vegetables dipped into hummus...the list of energy-boosting protein foods is long. And if you just can't stand the thought of giving up a sweet treat, those protein energy bars make a good stand-in for candy and are a lot less likely to cause a massive sugar crash.

Find tastier alternatives to boneless, skinless chicken breasts...although they're still good! Turkey or chicken sausage, top sirloin, flank steak, pork tenderloin or loin chops and fish of all types are all favorites of mine. I actually cook up extra chicken sausage and keep it wrapped in foil in the fridge for quick snacks. And I like to go vegetarian a couple of days a week, so black bean tacos or vegetarian chili deliver a delicious dose of protein and fiber.

What's your favorite protein-rich snack?

by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shoota
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I love crispy turkey bacon! I also love turkey meatballs. Cheese has to be my favorite protein snack, although what I eat is not low fat. LOL

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I love cheese as a snack or tuna.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 12:56 PM

cheese or a little peanut butter

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

well we did buy the cow .. we needed iron and protein in our diet ... we also eat chicken , fish, pork , seafood , cheese , peanut butter

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Oh my that pic looks delicious!! I def. love cheese as a protein snack on Triscuits.

othermom
by Danelle on Apr. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I like peanut butter and apples or some sun flowers seeds.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I love cheese.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  Love cheese on Triscuits.  Yum!!

Quoting MichelleK41:

Oh my that pic looks delicious!! I def. love cheese as a protein snack on Triscuits.

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am craving a tuna melt.  Yum!

Quoting TerriC:

I love cheese as a snack or tuna.

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 8:47 PM

peanut butter on a celery rib.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement