Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spice Up Your Veggies

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies

We all know how important it is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and while fruit is pretty easy to love, veggies can be a little...boring. Especially when you try to prepare them in a healthy way, without cheese or butter. I admit I usually lightly steam vegetables and leave it at that, but I've found my family is much more likely to eat them when I put a little thought into the preparation.

Acid (especially citrus) is a great way to balance the sweet and earthy flavors of vegetables like spinach, broccoli and asparagus. I like to squeeze a little lemon over them and garnish them with grated lemon zest. Cucumbers and vinegar are a classic for good reason. I like mine with freshly ground black pepper.

Roasting also brings out the flavors of vegetables. Cut a head of cauliflower into eight wedges, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast at 450 degrees on a metal baking sheet, turning once, until both sides are golden brown. I eat this stuff like popcorn, it's that good. And speaking of crispy, salty vegetable goodness, try kale chips. I like Smitten Kitchen's recipe: tear kale into smallish pieces (not too small because it shrinks down a lot), toss with a tablespoon of olive oil and a bit of salt, and bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes until they are crisp. I LOVE these things and I think my family does too...I say "think" because often they never actually find out I've made them since they are long gone before they get home.

I also am addicted to sauteed Brussels sprouts. I do these a couple of dfferent ways: either I cook a couple slices of bacon, remove them from the pan, and then cook halved Brussels sprouts in the drippings until browned and lovely (then crumble the bacon over before serving), or I replace the bacon with garlic and olive oil if I am feeling virtuous. Either way, they're SO GOOD.

Sometimes I'll sprinkle a spice blend over the veggie of the day. Penzey's makes one called Mural of Flavor which is delicious; if you can't find that, try Mrs. Dash. Both are herby and lemony and so good on just about anything. You can literally follow your nose; if a spice smells good with a vegetable, it's going to taste good with it too.

How do you spice up your vegetables?

Photo (c)IStockPhoto/gerenme

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I mader roasted cauliflower today- so good.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Cavendar's Greek seasoning is one of our favorites!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:57 AM

sounds good I usually just do garlic salt and crushed pepper.. But I may try Penzy's thanks

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I like roasting and sauteeing, but honestly, I'm guilty of making some pretty bland veggies. I just throw a bag of whatever in the steamer, and put out the salt & pepper shaker. I should try some of these tips, especially the ideas about using lemon. I think my family would like that.

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I'm going to have to try some of these - they sound like very good options for serving veggies!

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My husband just adds spices. I rather have plain veggies or add butter.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Mmmmm... roasted veggies. Yum! Will def have to try cauliflower that way. Sounds amazing!

I like my brussels sprouts roasted (crispy, salty, YUM). The rest of the fam prefers them soggy and dripping with butter. :(

elasmimi
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I love root veggies roasted with rosemary or thyme.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Salad dressing and salt and pepper usually.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Ah I don't add anything to our veggies. We all like them so we don't need to add a flavor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN