Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

We all know how important it is to eat lots of fruits and vegetables, and while fruit is pretty easy to love, veggies can be a little...boring. Especially when you try to prepare them in a healthy way, without cheese or butter. I admit I usually lightly steam vegetables and leave it at that, but I've found my family is much more likely to eat them when I put a little thought into the preparation.

Acid (especially citrus) is a great way to balance the sweet and earthy flavors of vegetables like spinach, broccoli and asparagus. I like to squeeze a little lemon over them and garnish them with grated lemon zest. Cucumbers and vinegar are a classic for good reason. I like mine with freshly ground black pepper.

Roasting also brings out the flavors of vegetables. Cut a head of cauliflower into eight wedges, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast at 450 degrees on a metal baking sheet, turning once, until both sides are golden brown. I eat this stuff like popcorn, it's that good. And speaking of crispy, salty vegetable goodness, try kale chips. I like Smitten Kitchen's recipe: tear kale into smallish pieces (not too small because it shrinks down a lot), toss with a tablespoon of olive oil and a bit of salt, and bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes until they are crisp. I LOVE these things and I think my family does too...I say "think" because often they never actually find out I've made them since they are long gone before they get home.

I also am addicted to sauteed Brussels sprouts. I do these a couple of dfferent ways: either I cook a couple slices of bacon, remove them from the pan, and then cook halved Brussels sprouts in the drippings until browned and lovely (then crumble the bacon over before serving), or I replace the bacon with garlic and olive oil if I am feeling virtuous. Either way, they're SO GOOD.

Sometimes I'll sprinkle a spice blend over the veggie of the day. Penzey's makes one called Mural of Flavor which is delicious; if you can't find that, try Mrs. Dash. Both are herby and lemony and so good on just about anything. You can literally follow your nose; if a spice smells good with a vegetable, it's going to taste good with it too.

How do you spice up your vegetables?

Photo (c)IStockPhoto/gerenme

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM
NOM. I love garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

We roast them. So delicious!!

Add garlic

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Me too : )

Quoting celestegood:

NOM. I love garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add garlic

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I love roasted veggies (and kale!)  I like raw veggies at times.  I like them steamed, with salt and maybe a little garlic.  Veggies are good on their own once a person gets away from having to have sauce or added stuff for flavor.

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I wish dh did though. He hates garlic and when I eat it, he complains that I smell like garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting celestegood:

NOM. I love garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add garlic

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 2:52 PM

My DH loves garlic and so do the kids, lol.

Quoting celestegood:

I wish dh did though. He hates garlic and when I eat it, he complains that I smell like garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting celestegood:

NOM. I love garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add garlic

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM
You are so lucky!!!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

My DH loves garlic and so do the kids, lol.

Quoting celestegood:

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Quoting celestegood:

NOM. I love garlic.

Quoting la_bella_vita:

Add garlic

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Apr. 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

We make mashed cauliflower, for brussel sprouts I like to shake them in olive oil and sea salt and roast them in the oven.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement