Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Amish Friendship Bread

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

Does anyone know anything about this? I got a starter bag yesterday from some girls at work. The only thing is I got it on day 8 so teh ingredients that were suppose to be added on day 6 did not get in till day 8. Should I still finish it on day 10 or give it an extra day or 2?

Thanks mamas!

baking

by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dommad2
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Do you have the recipe to make a starter by chance?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
studentmom418
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Not to make the starter no. I just have the recipe that they left with the bag. If you'd like it though I can ask the girls at work that do it if they have it. :)

Quoting dommad2:

dommad2
by New Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I have actually finally been able to get my mother to give up the recipe! Thanks though.

Quoting studentmom418:

Not to make the starter no. I just have the recipe that they left with the bag. If you'd like it though I can ask the girls at work that do it if they have it. :)

Quoting dommad2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goldilocksbecky
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I would do two extra days to allow the new ingredients time to ferment properly.

And just an FYI if (read "when") you are tired of it and have starter running out your ears, you can either slow down the starter by putting it in the fridge (it stretches a 10 day cycle out for 30 days if I remember correctly). Or you can freeze the starter and it will go completely dormant, but revive when you take it back out.  You can look it up online for the details.  Just know that it can be done.  Also, the finished breads actually freeze well. :)

studentmom418
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Thank you so much!! :D I'm sure at some point I will need to start freezing it otherwise I will have more than I know what to do with. :) 

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

I would do two extra days to allow the new ingredients time to ferment properly.

And just an FYI if (read "when") you are tired of it and have starter running out your ears, you can either slow down the starter by putting it in the fridge (it stretches a 10 day cycle out for 30 days if I remember correctly). Or you can freeze the starter and it will go completely dormant, but revive when you take it back out.  You can look it up online for the details.  Just know that it can be done.  Also, the finished breads actually freeze well. :)

goldilocksbecky
by on Apr. 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Which recipe do you have?  The one with the fruit?   My favorite is the cinnamon bread.

studentmom418
by Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It does have a little bit of cinnamon in it. I might try some experiments with diff flavors of the pudding if this one turns out. I'm thinking a banana or chocolate one might be good. :)

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Which recipe do you have?  The one with the fruit?   My favorite is the cinnamon bread.

brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I had this a long time ago.

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM

sorry I dont know

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sounds like you got some good tips... Yum! Wish someone would give us a breat starter like that. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN