Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Salad Spinning Part 2 - A Daily Dose of Greens

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

There's nothing like a springtime farmer's market. The weather is finally warming up, and some of the tastiest veggies are now in their prime season. My family and I like to go to our local farmer's market every weekend, and pick up our vegetables for the week. We are hooked on juicing, so we buy a fair amount at every visit.

We actually save money by buying at the farmer's market and purchasing our leafy greens in bulk. Things like kale, spinach, and watercress are always favorites in our juicing concoctions. Mixing these with sweeter fruits like blue berries or raspberries makes it all go down easier. But the key to any good juice is starting with super fresh, super clean produce. In steps our salad spinner to help us get a good clean on our leafy greens. If you buy them in bulk, instead of prepackaged, they'll likely be sandy or dirty but that's part of the fun of buying organic. You know that what you are getting has not been processed.

I like to clean and cut my veggies as soon as I bring them home. That way they are ready and waiting in my refrigerator's crisper until I need them.

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Love this

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 10, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Yes .. we make smoothies or eat as a salad 

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM
They are building a farm stand within walking distance from my house... Can't wait to buy more fresh veggies this summer!
GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I am looking forward to getting my coop orders again this summer!

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I've already planted a few veggies in our garden (things that can handle the cold--just in case!) and I can't wait for this summer's farmer's markets. :)

Crissy2424
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Me either!

Quoting RobynS:

I've already planted a few veggies in our garden (things that can handle the cold--just in case!) and I can't wait for this summer's farmer's markets. :)

elasmimi
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I have not had the courage to mix greens into my fruit smoothies.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I love this time of year!  Fresh fruits and veggies.  Can't wait to get to the Farmer's Market!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Same here.  I think I will try it though.  My youngest avoids veggies, maybe I can sneak them in on her.  =-)

Quoting elasmimi:

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I have been without a blender for quite some time now, but as soon as I get one, I will def mix greens into my smoothies! Can't wait!! I especially want to use kale. It's a new family fave, we grow it in our garden, and it's a total "super-food." ;)

Quoting elasmimi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement