Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Salad Spinning Part 2 - A Daily Dose of Greens

Posted by   + Show Post

There's nothing like a springtime farmer's market. The weather is finally warming up, and some of the tastiest veggies are now in their prime season. My family and I like to go to our local farmer's market every weekend, and pick up our vegetables for the week. We are hooked on juicing, so we buy a fair amount at every visit.

We actually save money by buying at the farmer's market and purchasing our leafy greens in bulk. Things like kale, spinach, and watercress are always favorites in our juicing concoctions. Mixing these with sweeter fruits like blue berries or raspberries makes it all go down easier. But the key to any good juice is starting with super fresh, super clean produce. In steps our salad spinner to help us get a good clean on our leafy greens. If you buy them in bulk, instead of prepackaged, they'll likely be sandy or dirty but that's part of the fun of buying organic. You know that what you are getting has not been processed.

I like to clean and cut my veggies as soon as I bring them home. That way they are ready and waiting in my refrigerator's crisper until I need them.

by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I don't clean and  cut my veggies as soon as I bring them home. I find that this encourages discoloration and shortens the life of the veggies. Instead I do wrap them in paper towels and store them in plastic bags.

BabyTeki
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Love the farmers market!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Wish2Be
A mommy to the best little boy in the world !
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Does the crisper keep them fresher longer? I worry about cutting them up to early or they will spoil faster.

Madelaine

I like to pre-prep too.  Much faster.

Wish2Be
A mommy to the best little boy in the world !
Yesterday at 10:01 PM

Quoting BabyTeki:

Love the farmers market!

Me too. We try to go at least once a month if we cant make it every other weekend.

CafeMom Tickers
timon95
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

tfs

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I love the farmer's market and green veggies!

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Quoting elasmimi:

I have not had the courage to mix greens into my fruit smoothies.

For the most part, you can not taste them but I suggest drinking them in a dark glass or mug. It's the color that gets to me. It can look like bile.

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

Love this

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I do too!

Quoting la_bella_vita:

I love the farmer's market and green veggies!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement