Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

i cant cook to save my life

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 47 Replies
Maybe an over statement, I can cook a few things...a very few things. Most of my meat comes out dry as hell, I over cook chicken since I had a nasty bout of food poisoning when I was younger and now I have panic attacks when I cook it and it never looks done to me and I distrust my thermometer for some reason (its never done anything to me, I don't know why I have trust issues with my thermometer) since I know I can't cook and my husband is brutally honest and will tell me dinner sucks I have zero confidence in the kitchen and despise cooking. If given the choice between scrubbing toilets and cooking, id happily scrub the toilets. This causes arguments between hubby and I. I hate cooking because my meals turn out shitty and we fight because his family cooks great and I give him dried out meat and boxed side dishes. I need help asap. I would love for my husband to come home to an amazing dinner, I'm a sahm so I have all the time in the world to cook. Please help lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Well since your not doing well in the meat department I would start with vegetarian dishes until you over come the food poisoning phobia which I could totally understand. There lots of foods you could learn without using need.

Check out allrecipes.com and food.com start simple Mac and cheese,mashed potatoes and build from there the meat can come later. When you do start cooking meats I suggest foods you can cook in the oven to lower the risk of drying the meat out.

Good luck
mary841108
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Vegetarian dishes would be a no go with my husband, that wouldn't go over well at all for him.

Quoting DACIA79:

Well since your not doing well in the meat department I would start with vegetarian dishes until you over come the food poisoning phobia which I could totally understand. There lots of foods you could learn without using need.

Check out allrecipes.com and food.com start simple Mac and cheese,mashed potatoes and build from there the meat can come later. When you do start cooking meats I suggest foods you can cook in the oven to lower the risk of drying the meat out.

Good luck
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

I always have a hard time with chicken too!  It isn't like beef where it is pink if not fully cooked.  I found with chicken, I do a lot of fried chicken in the oven, and if it starts pulling away at the bone...I know it is done.  I also make sure I buy fresh stuff or freeze it right away.  If I forget, I toss it right away.  Another thing which I do with chicken (mainly whole chicken), I boil it for hours on end.  And, then I make a soup/stew out of it after I pull out all the bones once it has cooked for four to six hours in the pot.  I then add all the other ingredients into the soup too whether it be egg noodles, duplings, carrots, celery, peas, spices, etc...

As far as beef goes, I really watch the color.  Also, I remind myself that with beef, many people eat is medium, medium rare, etc..and they are okay.  However, I never eat my beef bloody.  Also, I am picky where my meat come from too.  If we don't have any of our own beef, I buy the hormone smaller farmer packed meats.

Just keep trying...you could always get two meat thermometers too...we have a plain old non-digital one, and then we have a digital one which we can set what kind of meat, how well done we want it, etc.. and it can be left in the meat until it reaches that temperature too.

Good luck mama!

LoveMyBoyK
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Of his family cooks well and he can not keep his complaining mouth Shut, I would be making HIM cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Your Dh sounds like mine...he is a huge carnivore..loves a good piece of meat.

Quoting mary841108:

Vegetarian dishes would be a no go with my husband, that wouldn't go over well at all for him.

Quoting DACIA79:

Good luck

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

since his family has some good cooks why not ask them to teach you a few easy recipes and then work up to the harder ones

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Quoting mary841108:

What side dishes do you usually fix maybe you can start there and he can fix the meat and then be willing to help you learn. Im guessing he knew you couldn't cook when before he married you .

Have you tried online cooking videos
coolmommy2x
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in a very similar boat. I try to find a new (easy!) Recipe and work it until I master it. Then I'll move on to a new one.

I used to like my food well done and would cook the hell out of it too. If you could play football on it, it was ready to eat! LOL! I've gotten much better in the doneness dept. It takes practice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

another piece of advice a crock pot can be your best friend, seriously

mary841108
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I have a crock pot. I love it but mr. Picky mcpickerson calls crock pot meals slop. He only likes them once in a blue moon. I am seriously about to give up on the whole institution

Quoting gmadiane:

another piece of advice a crock pot can be your best friend, seriously

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement