Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

The Musical (and Good For You) Fruit

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

Want a protein source that's inexpensive, fat-free, extremely versatile, good for you, easy to use, readily available, and fast?

Embrace the bean! They work with a variety of cuisines and marry well with all kinds of flavors. You can find canned beans everywhere that are ready to use right away...and they're cheap, usually less than $1 per can. Opt for the organic or reduced-sodium versions when possible, because the downside to canned beans is they pack quite a wallop sodium-wise.

Beyond the obvious (bean soup, chili) try:

Replacing the meat in your tacos with fat-free refried beans or black beans;

Whipping up white beans, garlic, rosemary and a little bit of fresh olive oil into a dip for vegetables r whole grain pita chips...this also makes a great sandwich or cracker spread;

Throwing a handful of chickpeas in your salad;

Huevos rancheros for breakfast: beans topped with fried eggs, salsa, and a drizzle of sour cream;

Bean cakes: mix the lightly mashed bean of your choice with onion, minced garlic, parsley, a little whole wheat flour to bind, and saute in a little olive oil.

Bean salad: mix a few types of your favorite beans, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, herbs, corn kernels, cooked brown rice, tomatoes...just about any vegetable you like, really, or try mango or pineapple...and toss with lemon juice and olive oil. Let it marinate for a few hours and serve with grilled or roasted meat or on its own on a vegetable platter. SOOO delicious!

A lot of people don't love beans because of the, um, aftereffects. But those can be lessened by not using the cooking water for beans you cook at home and draining canned ones well....also, make sure they are thoroughly cooked. Worst case scenario, there's a drop called Beano that breaks down the starch that causes the "tooting" effect...you add a few drops to your food before eating.

Do you like beans? How do you like to use them?

© IStockPhoto/Andrii Gorulko

by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:23 AM

One of my favorite ways of using beans is in roasted eggplant and chickpea soup.  The chickpeas add a nice nuttiness and crunch to an already yummy soup.  Also, we enjoy black bean quesadillas.  They are a very regular meal around here.

JasonsMom2007
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:38 AM
We eat a ton of beans around here. We plan to grow and dry our own this summer.
We avoid canned though and chose dried instead. Cheaper and healthier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Yes I like beans.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:28 AM

I do not like beans and won't serve them to my family.  I don't like the anti-nutrients in them.  I don't like the smell of them while they're cooking or the length of time they require to be edible...what a hassle.  I don't like the taste of them.  No matter how they're cooked, they STILL have a very nasty effect on digestive systems in this family and I prefer to not live in a house that smells like a manure pit.

I'd rather my family fill up on more nutrient dense foods.  JMO

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Love beans!  I make chili.  Add cannelini beans to salads.  Black bean soup.  

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Honestly, beans are not my favorite... But I try to slip them into dishes like chili, enchiladas, quesadillas, or anywhere else where we can use the protein boost without giving up too much flavor.

MamaBear2cubs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM

No not really.

dandylynes
by Sonnie on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I love beans - my fiance', not as much, they mess with his stomach.

I freeze black beans and add a handful to my stuff.

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I like beans, but don't use them often.  I'll have to try some of these suggestions.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

We only like beans in chili and bean soup. We do bean burritos once in awhile too. I've tried other bean recipes but no one liked them, lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN