Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Sweet and Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

I love roasting vegetables because it is a very hands-off way to prepare them, so you can focus on other things as your meal cooks, such as the toddler melting down at your feet, or shifting the hoarder-level piles of children's toys from one side of the room to the other in order to create a path, or even extracting an entire crayon from the dog's throat! Oh, motherhood is glamorous.

Anyway, this recipe came from The New Yorker a couple of years ago, and it is a quick and easy glaze for brussels sprouts,or any vegetable you'd like to roast. I often serve these with quick breaded pork chops and baked potatoes. This recipe balances sweet and spicy and tart so perfectly, my mouth is watering just thinking about these delicious little nuggets.

Ingredients:

About 80 whole brussels sprouts, halved (160 halves or so)

4 tbsp of honey

4 tsp of sriracha hot sauce (you can use Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot in a pinch)

juice of 4 limes

couple pinches of salt

3-4 tbsp of olive oil

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toss all of the ingredients except for the oil together to combine, pour the coated brussels sprouts into a roasting pan. Drizzle with the olive oil. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or so, the outside leaves should be crisp, and the sprouts should be soft in the center.

What's your favorite way to prepare veggies?

©istockphoto.com/CharlotteLake

by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Roast or boil.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Apr. 16, 2013 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you SO much for sharing this glaze.  It sounds delicious and most importantly, my husband will love it.  He is worse than the kids!  I have to add spice to make him eat his veggies, and this is perfect!

I agree roasted veggies are the best!  I also like to steam them... this is the way my kids eat most veggies.  The plus side to steaming is I add the flavors after they're cooked, so I can keep it simple with some parmesan cheese for the kids and add more flavor for DH and I. 

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Sounds like a good recipe to try!

elasmimi
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM

this sounds great for me, but NOTHING would get dh to put a brussel sprout in his mouth, lol.

elasmimi
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I love to roast veggies, but just forget about it. Usually just steam them.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Interesting! I havent tried brussel sprouts since i was a kid, maybe its time to try these next time we grill out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rushn311
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:19 AM

We don't eat brussel sprouts. I normally steam my veggies.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Perfect! I just found out that my son and husband both really like brussells sprouts, so I like the idea of being able to make them fresh... I'd probably have to half the spice, though!

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Same here

Quoting Rushn311:

We don't eat brussel sprouts. I normally steam my veggies.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm... I would be willing to try these, but the 'sweet' is throwing me off a bit. I like brussels sprouts crispy and salty. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement