Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Put a Rainbow on your Plate

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

It can be very, very easy to get in a rut with food. Believe me, I know...asparagus is in season right now and I can't stop eating it! That's not so bad, really, but nutrition experts say that eating as many different colors in a day as you can is good for your health. And no, sorry, that doesn't mean artificially colored processed foods or candy, just fruits and vegetables.

Most days it's not so hard to get to two, maybe three, but can you challenge yourself to get four or more different colors in a day? Here are some examples of each to get you started:

Red: Apples, beets, tomatoes, rhubarb, pink grapefruit, watermelon.

Orange: Oranges, clementines, carrots, squash.

Yellow: Yellow bell peppers, summer squash, lemons, bananas, pineapple.

Green: Lettuce, kale, chard, spinach, green beans, peas, kiwi...the list goes on forever!

Blue: This one is tough, since there aren't too many naturally blue foods. Blueberries and blue potatoes are about it!

Violet: Red cabbage, radicchio, red romaine or Boston lettuce, grapes, eggplant, blackberries.

What are your favorite colorful vegetables and fruits, and how do you work them in to your diet?

© IStockPhoto/Sergii Figurnyi

by on Apr. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, cherries, grapes, apples, pears, pineapple.

I make a veggie tray with dinner and serve it with some light ranch to dip the veggies in.  I make a fruit salad, and use OJ and honey as the dressing.  It helps to keep the fruit from browning.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM

We eat a lot of veggies and some fruits, and they're either part of our meals or snacks.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I love spinach, brocolli, green beans, green leafy lettuce, kale, and many fruits and veggies from the other colors of the rainbow.  

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

We are terrible at this unless it's summer. In the summer, we could get a rainbow in our salad with spinach, red (purple) onion, strawberries, blueberries...

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I love all kinds of fruits and veggies.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

I eat pineapple, strawberries, blackberries, and watermelon everyday so my diet is very healthy and colorful.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

You can lots of veggies in to a salad. Lettuce (green), cabbage (purple), carrots (orange), tomatoes (red) and olives (black). Or a stirfry is good as well.

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

We have mixed veggies often for supper - I guess there's 2 colors of veggies in the mix.

I need to work on eating more fruit!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Raspberries are my favorite!

aneela
by Member on Apr. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

we eat any and all as often as we can..bell peppers tomatoes celery etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN