Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

do you do weekly meal plans?

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM
  • 25 Replies
How does is usually work out? Are you strict about it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 3:55 PM
I've thought about it and made them in my head, but they usually end up not working out!
Lauren486
by Lauren on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I just went shopping today, and I suck at meal planning.  I do always try to have at least a few meals in mind and then buy everything else as I go (even though I use a list for everything).  Today I bought things to make meals the next 3 nights... or so I thought at the time.  I went to start preparing dinner this evening and couldn't remember for the life of me what I had planned for tonight. Oops.  I ended up making a quiche, and giving the kids chicken since I didn't plan far enough in advance for the quiche to be ready for their dinner.  Mommy fail.

The few times I have gone and bought groceries based strictly on meal planning, I have spent less money not just that week but the following week as well because I found I still had meals on hand.  Now I just have to kick myself into making that a regular habit! 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes, I do meal plans.  It saves my sanity and money.  I'm a very busy person, and trying to decide what to have for dinner every day used to drive me nuts, especially the closer it got to dinnertime.  Breakfasts and lunches were the same old thing day after day.

Now I follow a nutrient dense diet and I use meal planning to make sure we're getting a variety of nutrient rich foods.  Here's the plan for this week:

April 14 – 20, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast – hard boiled eggs, oranges, veggie juice

lunch – leftover pizza

dinner - salisbury patties w/gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

Monday: moving day

breakfast – omelets, oranges, veggie juice

lunch - pizza delivery

dinner – hoisin glazed pork chops, oriental coleslaw, oranges

Tuesday:

breakfast – sausage gravy over hash brown waffles, veggie juice

lunch – tuna/tomato/avocado salad, leftovers

dinner – baked buffalo chicken, oven fries, beet pickles, steamed green peas

Wednesday:

breakfast – poached eggs, veggie hash/patties

lunch – leftovers, side salad

dinner – porcupine meatballs, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli

Thursday:

breakfast – breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch – crockpot beef & veggie soup

dinner – honey mustard chicken, leftover sweet potatoes, salad

Friday:

breakfast – paleo granola, veggie juice

lunch – liver & bacon with caramelized onions, side salad

dinner – beef roast with veggies

Saturday:

breakfast – fend for yourself

lunch – doggie skillet meal

dinner – pizza

misbishy
by Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 4:36 PM

, not really. my family change their minds often. i would have to o it nightly.then maybe go to the store often during the week if i dont have g in fridge to se with my meal. lol i know it would cut down on the trips to the store if we could just plan a week worth of shopping.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Yes, we totally do and I buy my groceries based off the meal plan. What' I've found works for us is to think of it as a list of possible meals for the week, rather than having them assigned to specific days. So when it's mid-morning, I'll look at the list for the week and think about what I might want to cook that night.

It has saved us a lot of money in the grocery budget, and it's also saved us a lot of angst in wishy-washy conversations about dinner. :)

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I know sometimes I'm at the store a couple times a wk!

Quoting misbishy:

, not really. my family change their minds often. i would have to o it nightly.then maybe go to the store often during the week if i dont have g in fridge to se with my meal. lol i know it would cut down on the trips to the store if we could just plan a week worth of shopping.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM

We used to shop like this, but when I finally starting making and sticking to a list of meals for each week, it really made a difference. I also feel like I still have a lot of options when I'm looking at 4-5 meals still left on the week's list... Of course by Saturday I better hope we all feel like that one meal that is left!

I'll tell you, the silly thing that did the trick for me was buying one of those magnetic dry erase boards with days of the week. I write my meals on that and stick it on the fridge, and then create my shopping list for the week based on that. Such a small thing, but it was like the tool I needed to get started. Now I only go to the store once a week, and it's so nice!

Quoting Lauren486:

I just went shopping today, and I suck at meal planning.  I do always try to have at least a few meals in mind and then buy everything else as I go (even though I use a list for everything).  Today I bought things to make meals the next 3 nights... or so I thought at the time.  I went to start preparing dinner this evening and couldn't remember for the life of me what I had planned for tonight. Oops.  I ended up making a quiche, and giving the kids chicken since I didn't plan far enough in advance for the quiche to be ready for their dinner.  Mommy fail.

The few times I have gone and bought groceries based strictly on meal planning, I have spent less money not just that week but the following week as well because I found I still had meals on hand.  Now I just have to kick myself into making that a regular habit! 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Wow ur very organized!! Are porcupine meatballs really porcupine? Lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

Yes, I do meal plans.  It saves my sanity and money.  I'm a very busy person, and trying to decide what to have for dinner every day used to drive me nuts, especially the closer it got to dinnertime.  Breakfasts and lunches were the same old thing day after day.

Now I follow a nutrient dense diet and I use meal planning to make sure we're getting a variety of nutrient rich foods.  Here's the plan for this week:

April
14 – 20, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast
– hard boiled eggs, oranges, veggie juice

lunch
– leftover pizza

dinner
- salisbury patties w/gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

Monday:
moving day

breakfast
– omelets, oranges, veggie juice

lunch
- pizza delivery

dinner
– hoisin glazed pork chops, oriental coleslaw, oranges

Tuesday:

breakfast
– sausage gravy over hash brown waffles, veggie juice

lunch
– tuna/tomato/avocado salad, leftovers

dinner
– baked buffalo chicken, oven fries, beet pickles, steamed green
peas

Wednesday:

breakfast
– poached eggs, veggie hash/patties

lunch
– leftovers, side salad

dinner
– porcupine meatballs, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli

Thursday:

breakfast
– breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch
– crockpot beef & veggie soup

dinner
– honey mustard chicken, leftover sweet potatoes, salad

Friday:

breakfast
– paleo granola, veggie juice

lunch
– liver & bacon with caramelized onions, side salad

dinner
– beef roast with veggies

Saturday:

breakfast
– fend for yourself

lunch
– doggie skillet meal

dinner
– pizza

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 17, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Nope, just regular meatballs made bristly by the addition of long grain rice, then they're cooked in a tomato based sauce

Quoting Peachy34500:

Wow ur very organized!! Are porcupine meatballs really porcupine? Lol

Quoting michiganmom116:

April
14 – 20, 2013

Sunday:

breakfast
– hard boiled eggs, oranges, veggie juice

lunch
– leftover pizza

dinner
- salisbury patties w/gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans

Monday:
moving day

breakfast
– omelets, oranges, veggie juice

lunch
- pizza delivery

dinner
– hoisin glazed pork chops, oriental coleslaw, oranges

Tuesday:

breakfast
– sausage gravy over hash brown waffles, veggie juice

lunch
– tuna/tomato/avocado salad, leftovers

dinner
– baked buffalo chicken, oven fries, beet pickles, steamed green
peas

Wednesday:

breakfast
– poached eggs, veggie hash/patties

lunch
– leftovers, side salad

dinner
– porcupine meatballs, baked sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli

Thursday:

breakfast
– breakfast bake, veggie juice

lunch
– crockpot beef & veggie soup

dinner
– honey mustard chicken, leftover sweet potatoes, salad

Friday:

breakfast
– paleo granola, veggie juice

lunch
– liver & bacon with caramelized onions, side salad

dinner
– beef roast with veggies

Saturday:

breakfast
– fend for yourself

lunch
– doggie skillet meal

dinner
– pizza

WillsMOM72
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Sometimes I do but lately I haven't been sticking to it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement