Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

5 Foods That are Surprisingly Good For You

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 56 Replies
4 moms liked this

It seems like ideas about what is good or bad for you change constantly, and it usually means that some food you love is now on the "bad" list. But a lot of recent studies actually point toward some "guilty pleasures" no longer having to be quite so guilty.

Wine and beer: Moderate drinking, meaning one glass of wine or pint of beer, is actually associated with a  lower risk of heart disease. That's not an excuse to get wasted, however; heavy drinking puts your heart at risk. Darker beverages, like red wine or dark beer, have more healthy compounds.

Coffee: Periodically, it seems like everyone in my Facebook feed goes off coffee for some reason. However, coffee is actually associated with lower risk of diseases like liver cancer, Parkinson's and type 2 diabetes. Like anything else, moderation is key, and that sugar-laden, high-calorie double mocha frap whip whatever? Not so great.

Chocolate: This was happy, happy news for many of us; dark chocolate actually has many health benefits from the flavanoids in cacao. About an ounce a day is good, and the higher cacao levels, the better.

Fat: The fat-free craze of the 1990s is about over, thank goodness, since a lot of those foods just replaced fat with huge amounts of sugar. There's lots to love about fat...it makes you feel satisfied so you eat less, helps your body access fat-soluble vitamins, and healthy fats actually lower your disease risk. Olive oil, nuts, seeds and fish are rich in good fats, and taste delicious as well.

Popcorn: This movie-night staple is a whole grain, filling and high in fiber. It's also a very concentrated source of polyphenols, or healthy plant compounds. If you can manage not to drown it in butter or overdo the salt, it's pretty low-cal as well, only about 100 calories a serving for air popped popcorn. And it's also a good snack in terms of volume: you can get about two cups of popcorn for the same calories as a handful of chips, which makes you feel like you've eaten a lot when you haven't.

What's your favorite "not-so-guilty pleasure" food?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Apr. 24, 2013 at 4:28 AM
2 moms liked this

We love making popcorn!  It's so much better when you make it yourself... quick, easy, cheap, and we can choose whatever we put (or don't put!) in it.  

I think the summary of your post is "moderation is key".  That has always been my philosophy.  Now sticking to it can be a bit more difficult.... one glass of wine and 1 ounce of chocolate???!!!  Is it even possible to only eat a single ounce of chocolate?!  

brownhoney21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Nuts and sunflower seeds.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I have a little bit of chocolate every now and then.  I am not really a sweets kind of person, but once in a while, I need a little chocolate.

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 8:16 AM

So if you can stick to the one ounce a day with the chocolate, you can actually afford to buy the better chocolate with more cacao because you're rationing it out farther :).  Love popcorn, and the airpopper is so much fun to watch!

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Love homemade popcorn.
Wine
Not a chocolate fan
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I could survive on chocolate and coffee lol.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I like your way of thinking!  =-)

Quoting TigerofMu:

So if you can stick to the one ounce a day with the chocolate, you can actually afford to buy the better chocolate with more cacao because you're rationing it out farther :).  Love popcorn, and the airpopper is so much fun to watch!

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Popcorn!  I do put too much butter & salt on it though.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Apr. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM

popcorn

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Apr. 24, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Popcorn

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement