Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Choosing the Perfect Rolling Pin

Posted by   + Show Post

When I had my bridal shower over seven years ago, I remember receiving a rolling pin signed by all the women in my family. It was more of a memento than an actual kitchen tool. It was meant to symbolize eternal love - round like a wedding ring, strong and powerful. I still have it on display in my kitchen. But since then, I've needed an actual, functional rolling pin for everything from making piecrust to rolling out flour tortillas. As with any of my kitchen related quests, I started my hunt with a bit of research.

There are several different kinds of rolling pins - all of which have specific jobs.

Rod - A rod style rolling pin is exactly what it sounds like. It's a rounded stick that is shorter and easier to maneuver when making large batches of flat breads, pastries or piecrusts. It's also easier on the hands and wrists.

Standard Rolling Pin - This is the traditional type that has two handles on each end that are attached with axels so that the middle cylinder rolls when pressure is put upon it.

Within the standard rolling pin family there are marble, wood, glass, non-stick and stainless steel varieties. Each one serves a different purpose. Stainless steels are good for keeping temperatures low while working with your food. Non-stick rolling pins are the easiest ones to clean. Marble rolling pins are heavy but they never transfer heat to your dough.  Glass rolling pins are made so that cold water can be poured inside them and keep your dough at the perfect temperature.

Length must also be considered. A good size choice is 12 inches. Any longer and they may be too hard to worth with.

Moms, which rolling pins do you have in your kitchen?

Photo courtesy of DNY59, via iStock Photography

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I have a standard wooden rolling pin that was a hand me down from a friend. I don't use it that often, so it works fine for my purposes.
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Old wood one, minus handles, has lovely patina.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I have a standard rolling pin.

CafeMom Tickers
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I have a standard wooden one
megandwade
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I have an old wooden one just like in the picture! It was my moms and I remember her using it to bake cookies when I was younger!

IloveElephants
by Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I have several.  I have a French, a standard, my great-grandmother's standard (my favorite) which is larger around than my standard, and a small pin that goes over my chitarra.  I would like to add a marble pin that I could put in the freezer before I rolled my delicate pastry dough, but that's it on my additions.

lillucky8
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I have the one in the photo, its really my moms but she never uses it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lauren486
by Lauren on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:21 AM

First, I LOVE the idea of the signed rolling pin!  What a great keepsake!

I only own one rolling pin and I'm not a big fan.  It is a large traditional wooden pin, and I find it is TOO large for many of my needs.  

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I have a marble rolling pin, and I never use it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement