The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Roasted Chicken Dinners Are Easier Than You May Think

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies
2 moms liked this

I used to view roasting a chicken as an all day affair. I imagined trussing up the legs and lovingly basting the bird for hours upon hours, probably because I associated roasting chicken with Thanksgiving dinner, which truly is an epic event. If you are like I was, then this may be a surprise: roasting a chicken with all the fixin's is one of the EASIEST meals you can make. It uses a minimal amount of dishes if you do it the lazy man's way which I am about to describe to you, and it looks totally impressive.  This chicken should serve 4.

Ingredients:

1 4-5 lb chicken, rinsed with giblets removed

2 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

5 carrots

10-12 little new potatoes

1 roughly chopped head of cauliflower

4 garlic cloves

4 tbsp olive oil

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using papertowels, dry the rinsed chicken off really well. In a little dish, mix the thyme, salt and pepper together, and then rub the chicken down with the spice mixture. Place the chicken breast side up in a large roasting pan. I don't bother trussing the legs because I don't know how, but if you're a purist, go right ahead at this point, just don't ask me how to do it. Ha!

Next, chop your carrots into large segments, pierce your baby new potatoes with a fork, and chop the cauliflower. Throw all of these in a large bowl. Mince the heck out of some garlic, and then toss the veggies with the garlic and oil. You should probably salt and pepper these, too. Dump the coated veggies into the roasting pan so they surround the bird, and toss the whole thing in the oven, uncovered, for about an hour (longer for any bird over 4 lbs). Do not baste the bird, leaving it dry and uncovered allows the skin to get super crispy. Pull the bird out of the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes, then dig in! 

Do you have any easy chicken recipes?

(C)istockphoto.com/clubfoto

by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

This is my favorite easy chicken recipe.  I use my crockpot to make it even easier!  Fix it and forget it!

Spicy Roast Chicken: (can be made in oven or crockpot)

• 1 whole chicken
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine spices and rub all over chicken, being sure to get under the skin wherever possible and the inside cavity. Bake in oven (covered) at 325 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on size of chicken OR place in crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:50 AM

I throw it in the roaster and go, or the crockpot is really easy, but I suppose that's technically not roasted.

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:47 AM
I really don't care for roasted chicken, so I don't have a recipe to share. Honestly, I'm not big on meat and usually serve it mixed into a dish as opposed to a stand alone main course.
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I love the spicy twist too it. I really need to start using my crockpot more

Quoting michiganmom116:

This is my favorite easy chicken recipe.  I use my crockpot to make it even easier!  Fix it and forget it!

• 1 whole chicken
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine spices and rub all over chicken, being sure to get
under the skin wherever possible and the inside cavity. Bake in oven
(covered) at 325 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on size of chicken
OR place in crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I love roasted beer can chicken. Full of flavor.
kaybear123
by Kayla on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't really like roasted chicken :/ 

CafeMom Tickers
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Sounds good! I may have to try this one!
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Oh yum!

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 1 whole chicken
  • 4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine spices and rub all over chicken, being sure to get under the skin wherever possible and the inside cavity. Bake in oven (covered) at 325 for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours depending on size of chicken OR place in crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

We own a roaster and I've never even used it! I've considered buying a chicken but I guess I'm kind of intimidated by it! Maybe it's something I just need to try..

dandylynes
by Sonnie on Apr. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

For some reason, the simpler the chicken is, the more I like it.  I like to roast mine with just salt, pepper, onion powder and sometimes some poultry seasoning.  I rub the chicken with olive oil first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)