Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Ingredient of the Day 4/24

Posted by   + Show Post

What would you make with... Scallions?

by on Apr. 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Replies (11-15):
SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:42 AM
I like the term spring onions. :-) I grew up calling them green onions, but where I live now everyone says scallions.

As for growing "regular" onions... I tried once and it was a fiasco! Never tried growing these guys, though, so maybe I should.

Quoting marney.p:

In Australia we call them spring onions. I grow them because they are easier to grow here than onions. I use them as I would an onion. In soups and stirfrys.

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Thank you for the information! :)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Kind of, although the flavor and texture is quite different... I would call them green onions, actually, and they are a version of onions. (In New England they call them scallions, and I wasn't sure which term was more common.)

Quoting TigerofMu:

I don't know.  Scallions are not common around here...but they are like onions, right?

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I definitely recommend chopping them up and tossing into a stir fry, eggs, etc. I'll include them in my fried rice tonight

Quoting TigerofMu:

Thank you for the information! :)

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Kind of, although the flavor and texture is quite different... I would call them green onions, actually, and they are a version of onions. (In New England they call them scallions, and I wasn't sure which term was more common.)

Quoting TigerofMu:

I don't know.  Scallions are not common around here...but they are like onions, right?

MomofHDFandNWF
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Chinese Coleslaw

1 head Cabbage

1 bunch of Sacallions

2 packages Ramen noodles

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1/2 cup slivered almonds

1/4 cup butter

Slice cabbage and onions and mix together.  Break apart noodles ~ saute noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds in butter.  *Watch carefully - once they start brown, they can burn fairly quickly.

Dressing:

1 cup oil (olive or veg works best...)

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup Red Wine vinegar

2 Tblsp Soy Sauce

Mix together all ingredients....

Mix cabbage and onions w/ noodle mizture.  Toss with dressing just before serving... Makes a large amount - so great to take to pot lucks.  I also sometimes 1/2 the recipe if just making it for the family.

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

Ooh, what is Chinese coleslaw? Sounds like something we might enjoy...

Quoting MomofHDFandNWF:

I use scallions in my "Chinese Coleslaw" recipe... Mmmm... Not to mention stirfries and potato salad.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I use them in stir fries, salads or eat them plain with some ranch dip.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement