The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

What's In Season for Spring

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

One of the most economical and greenest ways to get healthy foods into your diet is to eat seasonally. Buying fruits and vegetables in season means you're eating locally, so the food hasn't traveled miles on a truck to get to you, and because of that it's also fresher, abundant, and cheaper.

And I personally think spring (and summer) are the most enjoyable times to do this. After a long winter of starchier, heavier vegetables like butternut squash and potatoes, and leafy greens like kale, the more delicate flavors of spring vegetables taste amazing. Here's what's coming into season now in most of the country; this may vary, of course, depending on your location.

• Artichokes
  • Arugula
  • Asparagus (my favorite!)
  • Baby beets
  • Fava beans
  • Fennel
  • Fiddleheads
  • Leeks
  • Lettuce ("spring mix"  is actually in season now and packed with nutrients!)
  • Morels
  • Nettles
  • Spring onions (these look like a cross between scallions and regular onions and are milder than storage onions)
  • Parsley
  • Peas (If you can find them fresh, buy them, otherwise stick with frozen)
  • Radishes
  • Rhubarb
  • Scallions
  • Spinach
  • Swiss chard
  • Turnips

Fruits:
    •    Lemons
    •    Mango
    •    Strawberries
    •    Navel oranges
    •    Avocado
My favorite recipe is pasta primavera; I also love a fresh spring mix salad and will eat asparagus and strawberries constantly (although local ones come into season in June where I am).  But really, this is the beginning of the seasons when you can go to the farmer's market and be inspired by what's around, because there is so much bounty just waiitng to be discovered. It's fun and can encourage you to try things you never knew you liked.

What's your favorite spring produce? And what do you like to make with it?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jln005
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Asparagus is my favorite too! I just made this awesomke pasta with asparagus and sundried tomatoes... yum.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Dh and da love asparagus. I love strawberries.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Quoting jln005:

Asparagus is my favorite too! I just made this awesomke pasta with asparagus and sundried tomatoes... yum.

Care to share the recipe?

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM
My kids like asparagus wraps.
I put a little cream cheese on phyllo dough warp asparagus in that and brush with garlic butter. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. They will be golden brown. I grate fresh Parmesan over top
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM

We LOVE asparagus!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Artichoke Chicken Bake

EASY yet elegant, and tasty!

• 14 oz. can water packed artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
  • 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3/4 c. mayonnaise
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 375°. Salt and pepper the chicken breast halves and place in a greased baking dish.

Combine the artichoke hearts, Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise and garlic; mix well. Spread over chicken breasts.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes until chicken juices run clear.

Makes 4 servings

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

This is one of my older son's favorites, and it's a good one! He got it from his manager at work and it immediately became a favorite at home.

Artichoke Dip

• 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, chopped (Reese's is best)
  • 1/2 c. Hellman's mayonnaise (NO Miracle Whip)
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced OR use 1 tsp. minced garlic from a jar

Mix all ingredients together. Put into a baking dish. Bake at 350° for 25 - 30 minutes until bubbly & golden brown. Top with a bit more Parmesan before serving. BEST served warm with fresh pita chips!

Fresh pita chips:
Take 1 pkg. pita pocket bread and cut into wedges/triangles with a pizza cutter. Place on a cookie sheet and spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with parsley if you like. Bake at 350° for 10 to 15 minutes until they reach desired crispness.

Enjoy!

kellynh
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM

STRAWBERRIES!! Then spinach and avacodo

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM
The melons and berries I've been buying are starting to taste really good, finally, so I'll be making fruit salads soon.
jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 1, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Strawberries, Avacado, Spinach and Melons 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)