The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Creative Ways to Use a Peeler with Fruit

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Summertime is just around the corner, and it has me thinking about my favorite type of salad - fruit salad! It's a seasonal staple that shows up everywhere - barbeques, picnics, family gatherings and more. Here are a few ways spicy up your fruit salad with the use of a simple kitchen tool - the peeler.  

Melon swirls - Shave off large strands of honeydew, watermelon, and cantaloupe into curled swirls. Add mint for a refreshing summer salad.

Peel skin off of pears and apples to keep the salad looking clean and inviting.

Use a zester or microplaner (another form of peeler or grater) for citrus fruits. Adding zest to your fruit salad will kick up the yum factor!

Use your peeler to take the tough skin off of kiwi fruit. This tropical delight is a great addition to any salad.

Peel slices of jicama into a salad or slaw. Add lemon and toss.

Moms, what are your favorite fruit salad combinations?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:15 AM
I love a traditional fruit salad!
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM

My kids like to make fruit kabobs too.    Watermelon, strawberries, pineapple and apples

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I like any fruit salad that doesn't include pineapple... To me, it takes over the whole salad. But I especially love berries and melons.

mrswillie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I love oranges and pineapple together.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM

watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, red grapes, strawberries, blueberries, bananas.

sukainah
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

I just like the traditional fruit salad as well.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I like strawberries and kiwi.

GwenMB
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Doing the curled swirls with cantaloupe & honeydew would be fun!  I like any form of a fruit salad.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I just like fruit salad with just the fruit in it. I like the peels on the fruit (for the fruit that's peels can be eaten) for the extra fiber.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Those are great ideas.

I love to make fruit salad with red apples, yellow apples, grapes, pineapple, nectarines, strawberries.  I make a dressing using fresh squeezed OJ and a little honey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)