Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Creative Ways to Use a Peeler with Vegetables

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Yes, peelers are a kitchen staple. We use them to take unwanted skin off of fruits and vegetables. But, did you know that you could also use them to make your finished vegetable dishes more inviting? Whatever kind of peeler you have at your disposal can be used to create lively meals in minutes.

Here are a few ideas:

Peel carrots directly into salad for uniformed looking straw-like strings. Try rainbow carrots for an added pop of color. You can also peel zucchini, squash or asparagus this way. Instead of salad, try it all together in a slaw.

Peel cucumber vertically so you leave some of the skin on and take the other half off, alternating every inch or so that when it is cut, you get a striped affect.  You can do this with other veggies like radishes, squash, and more. It makes for a very sophisticated presentation.

Peel turnips or radishes into florets. It's easier than you think! Just spin as you peel.

You can also peel cleaned and prepared red onions directly into a salad, soups or stews for a delicate, easy to eat bite.

Try making vegetable noodles. Peel wide strands of squash and boil as if it were pasta. Top with butter and Parmesan cheese for a healthy treat.

Moms, how do you use your peelers to make your veggies more appealing?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:18 AM

I have never seen or heard of rainbow carrots.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

The vegetable noodles sound really good. I hane to try that.

Dreamweaver_46
by New Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Bump 

kellynh
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I always leave part of the peel on my cukes. I also use a crinkle cutter on them... Much prettier!! :)

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I do all of the ideas listed.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I've heard of a spiral peeler, to make long "spaghetti" noodles out of things like carrots or zucchini or sweet potatoes.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I never thought to use a peeler on onions. I just peel potatoes and sometimes carrots.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I do.  Especially carrots.  I shred/peel them with the peeler and use them in salads and stir fry's.  I peel the cucumbers like that for salads as well.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Chriscross .. in thin strips 

GwenMB
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I've done the stripped cucumber thing - but some of these other suggestions sound fun, too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement