The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Super Fast, Super Delicious Penne alla Vodka

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies

I'm a freak for pasta sauces that I can whip up while my pasta cooks. There's something serendipitous about everything coming off the stove top piping hot. I found this recipe years ago on the Pioneer Woman website, which you should totally check out if you haven't yet, it is loaded with amazing recipes. Anyway, this recipe is super quick and very yummy. I make it for company and serve it with a salad, some crusty bread and some red wine, and everyone is happy.

Ingredients:

1 lb of penne pasta

1 onion

2 cloves of garlic

2 tbsp of olive oil

2 tbsp of butter

3/4 c of vodka

1 14 oz can of tomato puree

1 c heavy cream

Dash of red pepper flakes

1/2 tsp of salt

1/4 tsp of black pepper

1 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Fill a big pot with water,  throw a large pinch of salt in it, and set it on your stove top on high to boil. Meanwhile, chop your onion and mince your garlic and cook them in a pan with the oil and butter until translucent. Add the vodka and allow it to cook for a few minutes. By now your water might be boiling- you should add your pasta to the water and give it a quick stir. Open your can of tomato puree and add it to the vodka/onion mixture, stirring well. Reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes. Next, add the heavy cream and stir well. The mixture will be a disturbing salmon color, do not be alarmed. Stir in the red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Drain your pasta if done, and reserve a cup or so of the pasta liquid in case the sauce is too thick. Throw the pasta into the sauce and stir very well, adding your reserved liquid if necessary. Next, mix in the grated fresh Parmesan. I sometimes add some minced fresh basil if I have it on hand, but it is totally not necessary, it's just a nice addition.

Do you have any quick pasta recipes?

(C)istockphoto.com/markpagejr

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveMyBoyK
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
TFS. I get this all the time at Glory Days and love it. Making my own will be a lot cheaper:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
batjmom
by Sarah on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

This one looks amazing.  I'll be trying this recipe.

My quick go to pasta dish is

Angel hair pasta tossed in olive oil and topped with roma tomatoes and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  I like it spicy so I add red pepper flakes to the olive oil as its heating.   

KarenandErnie
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Ooh, that sounds so yummy and fresh tasting. I'm stealing it!

Quoting batjmom:

This one looks amazing.  I'll be trying this recipe.

My quick go to pasta dish is

Angel hair pasta tossed in olive oil and topped with roma tomatoes and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.  I like it spicy so I add red pepper flakes to the olive oil as its heating.   

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:37 AM
That looks so yummy!! I will need to try this for sure!
huneebadger
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Defiantly have to try this! I always get a vodka cream sauce pasta at an Italian restaurantI go to, it is called alla bettola. I get the same dish every single time as it is so good! This even looks exactly like it!

TigerofMu
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Thanks!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Yum!

We love angel hair pasta with olive oil, a little butter and crushed red pepper.

dandylynes
by Sonnie on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Looks yummy.  I should cook more pasta, but I don't.  

meam4444
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yummy!!

squeekers
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM

what can be used instead of alcohol?

I'm an secular Humanist.
I love sharing my opinions about a lot of things.
SAHM of one teen DD. Married since 1989.
Awarenesses I follow: Epilepsy, Dyscalculia & Down Syndrome.
I am: Lactose & Alcohol intolerant.
I support: gay pride, gun rights, Obama, pro-choice and yes, I'm a Liberal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)