Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spinach, The Wonder Green

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

If you're old enough to remember the old Popeye cartoon, you'll remember that Popeye got strong from tearing the lid off a can of spinach and downing it. It turns out Popeye was onto something; spinach, which is in season right now, is full of antioxidants, iron and fiber.

As the mildest of the non-lettuce leafy greens, spinach is good eaten raw or cooked and plays nicely with lots of other foods. It's best fresh, sold in bunches...there have been e.coli scares from bagged spinach in the last several years, and I find it goes slimy and gross very fast when it's bagged. Some manufacturers use "breathable" bags and those can buy you some more time.

It's delicious with a warm bacon vinaigrette...yes, you can have bacon and follow a heathy eating plan! Cook a slice or two of center-cut bacon, crumble it, and return it to the pan. Whisk the still-warm drippings with a splash of balsamic vinegar to taste. Toss with your washed spinach and serve; the warmth melts the greens enough to get rid of the raw taste but retains some crunch, and the bacon and spinach just go together beautifully.

I also love using it in kind of a surprising way: green smoothies. Toss in a handful of fresh or frozen spinach with your fruit and you get a serving of greens down without even realizing it. My favorite (since I don't like dairy in my smoothies) is 4 oz. orange or apple juice, about a quarter cup frozen mango, a quarter cup frozen strawberries, a scoop of protein powder, and a big handful of frozen spinach. Blend it up and voila, you have a filling and protein-packed breakfast or post-workout recovery drink. It's actually kind of a pretty green, too, not a scary sludge (one of mine is in the photo), and you can't really taste the spinach at all. You can vary however you like, of course...change out the fruit, use almond or soy milk instead of juice, use yogurt...just try the spinach if you haven't before. I bet you'll like it as much as I do!

What's your favorite way to use spinach?

by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 3, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I like to add it to omelets or frittatas.

I also LOVE a strawberry spinach salad!

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM

Spinach salad with strawberries and walnuts

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

spinach salads, we use it on sandwiches instead of lettuce, sauted with garlic

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I've never made frittatas.  Only ordered them at resturants. Do you have a recipe that works for you?

Quoting michiganmom116:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Quoting batjmom:

I've never made frittatas.  Only ordered them at resturants. Do you have a recipe that works for you?

Quoting michiganmom116:

This is my favorite.  You can change up the meat and veggies for endless combinations.

The recipe doesn't specify how much spinach to use -- I use 2 c. fresh or a 10 oz. pkg. frozen.   I used ham when making this:

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

Posted By Mrs.Edge On September 1, 2011 @ 12:29 pm In All Recipes,Eggs

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 10 eggs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
  • 1 cp mushrooms, diced
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice
  • 1/4 cp chopped tomatoes
  • salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dried parsley

The great thing about this recipe is it doesn’t have to be exact. You can add a couple more eggs, or cut back a few to add more veggies or meat. Almost any veggies or meat will do but I LOVE this particular combination. A frittata is the perfect dish to make with leftovers too! Just skip the sauteing of veggies.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook spinach in 1/4 cp water in covered pot for 2 minutes, just until wilted, drain & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs & coconut milk. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper & parsley & give a final whisk.

Saute onions & mushrooms in the olive oil & coconut oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet for 3 minutes. Add garlic & tomatoes & continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes, until onions are translucent. Add cooked spinach to the mix and lightly salt & pepper the mixture.

Add chopped meat of your choice (I used a leftover angus burger but ham, bacon, turkey, pork – anything would be delicious!) About 1 cup is a good amount to use. Mix thoroughly.

Spread mixture even into bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. Use spatula to lift up spinach mixture along sides of pan to let the egg mixture flow underneath.

Cook mixture on stove top on medium heat until about half set, put the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 13-15 minutes or until puffy & golden.

Finish by placing frittata under the broiler for up to a minute to get a deeper brown color & a bit of crispiness. Be very careful handling the skillet! It’s extremely hot once placed in the oven. Allow to cool before slicing. Makes 4-6 servings.

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/spinach-mushroom-frittata/

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Thank you. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting batjmom:

Quoting michiganmom116:

This is my favorite.  You can change up the meat and veggies for endless combinations.

The recipe doesn't specify how much spinach to use -- I use 2 c. fresh or a 10 oz. pkg. frozen.   I used ham when making this:

Spinach & Mushroom Frittata

Posted By Mrs.Edge On September 1, 2011 @ 12:29 pm In All Recipes,Eggs

Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients and Cooking Steps

• 10 eggs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 4 tbsp full fat coconut milk
  • 1 cp mushrooms, diced
  • 1 cup of meat of your choice
  • 1/4 cp chopped tomatoes
  • salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, dried parsley

The great thing about this recipe is it doesn’t have to be exact. You can add a couple more eggs, or cut back a few to add more veggies or meat. Almost any veggies or meat will do but I LOVE this particular combination. A frittata is the perfect dish to make with leftovers too! Just skip the sauteing of veggies.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cook spinach in 1/4 cp water in covered pot for 2 minutes, just until wilted, drain & set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs & coconut milk. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper & parsley & give a final whisk.

Saute onions & mushrooms in the olive oil & coconut oil over medium heat in an oven proof skillet for 3 minutes. Add garlic & tomatoes & continue to cook for 1-2 more minutes, until onions are translucent. Add cooked spinach to the mix and lightly salt & pepper the mixture.

Add chopped meat of your choice (I used a leftover angus burger but ham, bacon, turkey, pork – anything would be delicious!) About 1 cup is a good amount to use. Mix thoroughly.

Spread mixture even into bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over spinach mixture. Use spatula to lift up spinach mixture along sides of pan to let the egg mixture flow underneath.

Cook mixture on stove top on medium heat until about half set, put the skillet in the preheated oven and cook for 13-15 minutes or until puffy & golden.

Finish by placing frittata under the broiler for up to a minute to get a deeper brown color & a bit of crispiness. Be very careful handling the skillet! It’s extremely hot once placed in the oven. Allow to cool before slicing. Makes 4-6 servings.

Article printed from Fast Paleo: http://fastpaleo.com

URL to article: http://fastpaleo.com/spinach-mushroom-frittata/

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Omelettes, salad or just sauteed
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I like spinach in any form, except canned. If we cook it, i drizzle with basalmic vinegar.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChancesMommy07
by on May. 5, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I pretty much only like it raw in salads but my husband loves it sauteed with corn bread.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Any way I can!  I love spinach.  Most recently, I used it in this recipe, with some rice I cooked in the sauce.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement