Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spinach Smoothies for the Pickiest of Toddlers

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ah, the picky eater. Who knows how they have the energy to get up in the morning when all that they eat are butter sandwiches, Go-gurt, or whatever else you manage to get into them during the course of the day? Having a picky eater can be stressful and exasperating and can incite epic power struggles at the dinner table. My daughter was once a great, adventurous eater, and still is...sometimes. During those off periods, instead of engaging in mental warfare, I whip up a delicious, sweet smoothie for her to drink and call it good. She has no idea how much baby spinach I load into these shakes, and the flavor is undetectable. Try them for your kids, or for yourself for breakfast. 

Ingredients:

1.5 c of milk

.5 c yogurt

.5 c mango or peach juice

1 ripe banana

.5 c frozen strawberries

1 apple, peeled and sliced

1 large handful raw baby spinach

2 tbsp maple syrup (optional)

Put all of the above ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth. If it is too thick for your liking, add some more juice, if it is too thin, add some more yogurt. I've heard of people adding flax seed to their smoothies for added fiber and Omega 3s as well. These shakes can easily replace a full breakfast, they are very filling.

For added benefit, serve with a crazy straw. Toddlers are helpless against a crazy straw.

How do you deal with picky eaters?

(C)istockphoto.com/ma-k

by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM

I've never had a picky eater, at least one that was picky to the point of not eating anything.  Even my 16 month old granddaughter loves her veggies.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 2, 2013 at 7:17 AM

My kids are not too picky.    We have talked about healthy eating since they were toddlers.   Smoothies are a favorite here.  So many varieties. 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM

These sound yummy. I don't have a picky eater.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I sneak pureed foods into sauces and soups.  I will puree veggies and add them anywhere I can.  My youngest has always been picky, she is getting better, but I still add the veggies to whatever I can.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Mmmmm!  That looks yummy!

Quoting batjmom:

My kids are not too picky.    We have talked about healthy eating since they were toddlers.   Smoothies are a favorite here.  So many varieties. 

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 7:56 AM

My kids aren't real picky.  I've always made sure they try everything at least once before they say they don't like it.  

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 2, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I don't have any picky eaters.  My children love their fruits and veggies, never had a problem.  Now this smoothie sounds delish, and definitely will give it a try

elasmimi
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My 6 y/o is suddenly becoming picky for the first time, but she loves smoothies. Now if I can just make this w/o her seeing the spinach go in, lol.

KarenandErnie
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Good luck! My toddler doesn't notice the green flecks but a 6 year old might be more observant.  My kid will eat ANYTHING some days and nothing on others. It's so weird.

Quoting elasmimi:

My 6 y/o is suddenly becoming picky for the first time, but she loves smoothies. Now if I can just make this w/o her seeing the spinach go in, lol.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I'm def going to be doing this for my 4 yr old. I've been making a lot of smoothies for myself lately for a quick healthy meal when I can't have what they're having (b/c of allergies).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN