Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Deboning Chicken

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 28 Replies

Meat is expensive. And if you are looking to save a few extra bucks, buying your chicken with the bone in can be a great way to shave off money from your grocery bill. While some cooks like using the bone in chicken to add extra flavor, some just like the convenience of boneless chicken. Count me in as one of the ladder!

Deboning chicken is easier than you think. All you need are a few good tools:

A good, clean cutting board

Poultry or utility shears
Sharp boning knife or long paring knife
Sharp Chef knife or cleaver

When you look at your piece of chicken, start cutting at the meat's meatiest point. Find the bone and run your knife along it, pushing the flesh back as you go. Trim away any unwanted fat, skin or cartilage as needed.

You can use the meat right away, or freeze for later use.

If you are planning on breaking down a whole chicken, a quick Internet search will lead you to how to videos and diagrams. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and have the right tools.

You can boil the left over bones with celery, carrots, onions and garlic to make homemade stock. Nothing goes to waste!

Moms, have you tried you luck at deboning meats yourself? If so, how did you do it?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
Just imagine how much people could accomplish after they accept that there is no god. No god to blame. No god to thank. No god to praise. No god to grant or deny requests. No predetermined plan. Just imagine the possibilities that would come with that one realization that people have to take ownership of themselves, their choices, and their moral obligations.
Yesterday at 10:57 AM
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:06 AM

Rachael Ray has a great video on her site on deboning chicken and other butchering texhniques. I learned a lot from her.

slightlyperfect

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I have never tried it. I've watched them doing it a few times on different cooking shows.
TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I have never done it.  Seen it on TV but never tried myself.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 8, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I do it all the time.  We process 100 chickens every summer, and my main job is deboning.  A butcher showed me how to do it and leave minimum meat on the carcass (less waste).  It's not hard if you have a thin blade that's very sharp.

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I've done it a few times, I don't make a regular habit of it though.

IloveElephants
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:49 PM

8 cuts, about 8 seconds was my fastest time.  It's really easy.  I use a knife.  

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I've never tried it, probably wouldn't look good in the end

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I've never tried it
Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Great point! I always go for the boneless chicken breasts myself. I have bought the bon-in chicken quite by accident before.  I find it tends to make a juicier chicken dish, but I do hate ealing with bones. 

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I have tried it a few times..and let me tell you it was not pretty!! But i have watched a video on youtube a couple of times and i am going to gi e it another try!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement