Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Meat is expensive. And if you are looking to save a few extra bucks, buying your chicken with the bone in can be a great way to shave off money from your grocery bill. While some cooks like using the bone in chicken to add extra flavor, some just like the convenience of boneless chicken. Count me in as one of the ladder!

Deboning chicken is easier than you think. All you need are a few good tools:

A good, clean cutting board

Poultry or utility shears
Sharp boning knife or long paring knife
Sharp Chef knife or cleaver

When you look at your piece of chicken, start cutting at the meat's meatiest point. Find the bone and run your knife along it, pushing the flesh back as you go. Trim away any unwanted fat, skin or cartilage as needed.

You can use the meat right away, or freeze for later use.

If you are planning on breaking down a whole chicken, a quick Internet search will lead you to how to videos and diagrams. It's easy once you get the hang of it, and have the right tools.

You can boil the left over bones with celery, carrots, onions and garlic to make homemade stock. Nothing goes to waste!

Moms, have you tried you luck at deboning meats yourself? If so, how did you do it?

by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
timon95
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

tfs, no deboning for me - no time!

arpazia
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Never tried :O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I just buy boneless....

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I deboned chicken on my own for years and finally decided it wasn't worth the mess. Now I poach the chicken and remove the bones from that and still have broth.

candycrush
by Member on May. 10, 2013 at 8:03 AM

My mom taught me to debone a chicken when I was a teenager. I'm so glad she did.

Shoota
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:06 AM

I think I've done it...twice maybe? The second time went better. The whole way watching and pausing a YouTube video on how to do it, with chicken hands. LOL.

grandmotherof6
by Member on May. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I do it all the time

kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Nope. Ill stick with boneless!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement